Match Reports

Match Report: Dunfermline 0-0 Hearts

3rd April 2021

Hearts were held to a goalless draw by Dunfermline Athletic in today’s match at East End Park.


The Jambos sit eleven points clear at the top of the Scottish Championship with four games remaining.

There were numerous changes from the side that lost to Queen of the South last weekend, including a debut for Shay Logan at right back and a first league start in three months for Peter Haring in the heart of midfield.

There wasn’t much to report early on until, out of nowhere, Dunfermline had a clear sight of goal. Declan McManus won the ball in midfield and played a pass right through the heart of the defence for Scott Banks, who shot wide when in on goal.

Hearts had their first clear opening just after the half hour mark when, following a nice short corner between Andy Irving and Euan Henderson, the ball was played to Liam Boyce on the penalty spot but he shanked his shot wide.

Moments later, Gary Mackay-Steven played Henderson down the left and he rifled a ball across the face of goal that just evaded Boyce. At the other end, Dunfermline found themselves in again. Josh Edwards approached goal from the left but shot into the side netting.

The Pars found themselves with another opportunity before the half ended when Kevin O’Hara breached the defence but he was denied by a super save from Craig Gordon.

Into the second half and Dunfermline came even closer when Vytas Gasputis met a Dom Thomas corner but his header crashed off the crossbar.

That spurred Hearts into life and they had two huge chances to take the lead. First, a corner was whipped in from the right and Haring diverted a shot just wide, before Mackay-Steven burst down the left and crossed for Boyce whose header was superbly saved.

Hearts then introduced Mihai Popescu, Steven Naismith and Armand Gnanduillet as they sought a winner and Naismith came agonisingly close when he prodded a flick on towards goal from Boyce but again he was denied by Owain Fon Williams.

The men in maroon were denied a late penalty when Mackay-Steven appeared to be tripped inside the box but the referee waved play on.

The final chance of the game fell to the hosts when Thomas pinged in another precise delivery and Euan Murray rose highest to nod down towards goal but a stunning stop from Gordon earned Hearts their point

Dunfermline: Fon Williams, Comrie, Edwards, E. Murray, O’Hara (Henderson, 84'), McManus (McCann, 89'), Gaspuitis, Wilson, Mayo, Thomas, Banks. (F. Murray, 78') Subs: Gill, Macdonald, McInroy.

Hearts: Gordon, Smith, White (Popescu, 61'), Haring, Boyce, S. Logan, Mackay-Steven, McEneff (Gnanduillet, 70'), Irving, Halkett, Henderson (Naismith, 65'). Subs: Stewart, Souttar, Walker, McGill.

Referee: Colin Steven