Three on the trot for B Team

27 November 2022

Steven Naismith made three changes to the side that beat Gretna a fortnight ago. Finlay Pollock and Bobby McLuckie returned in attack in place of Callum Hambrook and Murray Thomas. Meanwhile, Liam McFarlane replaced Harry Stone in goal.
The Wee Jambos came into this match full of confidence following victories against Edinburgh University and Gretna 2008 and they started the game like a team full of belief.
The visitors got the game underway and straight from kick-off the men in maroon pressed and won possession back on the edge of the box. McLuckie was the man presented with the chance, but he didn’t connect with the ball as well as he would have liked, and it was a comfortable save for McCready.
Just two minutes later though the Wee Jambos did break the deadlock. After bagging both goals against Gretna last time out, Adam Forrester this time turned provider and after a neat one-two with Pollock, his low cross was perfect for Makenzie Kirk to slam home from close range.
That was the perfect start for Hearts, and they should really have doubled their advantage after just ten minutes. McLuckie was honest and after staying on his feet when others may have gone down, he pulled the ball back for Harry Gordon who fired over.
The second goal seemed like an inevitability at this rate, but after some brave Dalbeattie defending kept the score down, McFarlane was called into action for the first time on the half hour mark after a cross from the right was flicked on by Steven Degnan.
In the final minute of the half, Kirk was sent through on goal after a huge kick from McFarlane, but he was denied by the onrushing McCready.
Just seconds later though the striker was presented with another opening and this time ensured Hearts’ half-time lead would be more comfortable. Captain Arron Darge won an aerial challenge in the centre circle and after a neat flick on from Callum Sandilands, Kirk made no mistake and drilled the ball low past McCready to double the lead.
Into the second half and the contest continued in a similar fashion. The Wee Jambos had limited the visitors to very few opportunities so when the third goal arrived after 73 minutes it was no more than the men in maroon deserved.
Darge again was dominant at the back and after striding forward, he found Macaulay Tait. The midfielder, who was filling in at left back, delivered a deep cross which was knocked back across goal by substitute Murray Thomas and Sandilands was waiting to bundle the ball home from a matter of inches.
Hearts had passed up numerous openings to add a fourth goal, but it eventually arrived three minutes from time. Darge was again involved and after swivelling in the box, his deflected shot fell to Sandilands to add his second and Hearts’ fourth.
Minutes later, the whistle blew to end an extremely dominant showing from the men in maroon. Next up, Tranent Juniors.
Hearts: McFarlane, Darge ©, Tait, Pollock, Denholm, Kirk (Thomas, 65), Gordon, Forrester, Rathie (Friel, 67), Sandilands, McLuckie (Hambrook, 81)
Subs: Stone, Thomas, Duncan, Hambrook, Friel, Smutek
Dalbeattie Star: McCready, Campbell, Uphill, Taylor, Caffrey, Gaffney, Degnan, Gallacher, Williamson, Gourlay ©, Ebbs
Subs: Johnston, Kavanagh, Craig, Ocholi, Milligan, Cumming, Emmerson,