Match Report: Hearts 1-3 Rangers

14 May 2022

Peter Haring's curling effort gave the Jambos the lead, but goals from Cedric Itten, Alex Lowry and Cole McKinnon gave the visitors all three points.

The game began in an open fashion and Aaron Ramsey set up a chance for Scott Arfield from range but his shot was straight at Craig Gordon.

There was an enforced change for Hearts early on when Liam Boyce felt an issue with his groin and had to be replaced by Josh Ginnelly.

The Jambos took the lead on 21 minutes when Michael Smith's ball down the channel was well held up by Ellis Simms and he teed up Haring who curled a lovely effort into the bottom corner from the edge of the area.

The visitors levelled on 33 minutes. A corner was swung in from the left and Cedric Itten powered home a free header from around ten yards out.

Barrie McKay then had a sight of goal as he dribbled through from his own half, but he was forced wide by Leon King before he could shoot.

On the stroke of half time Rangers took the lead. Lowry collected the ball on the left and drove at goal before curling a finish beyond Gordon inside the area.

On the hour, McKay had two opportunities. First, he brought down a ball in style and hit a volley from the edge of the area that flew just over. Then, after playing a neat one two with Gary Mackay-Steven he smashed a shot just past the post.

There was a positive sign in the shape of returns to the pitch from John Souttar and Craig Halkett for the last twenty minutes, although Rangers did soon add a third on 81 minutes.

McKinnon found himself in space in the area and steered a shot beyond Gordon off the keeper's right hand post to seal the three points. Lowry had another chance to score but headed wide at the back post.

The final action came in stoppage time as Toby Sibbick brought out an excellent save from Jon McLaughlin from distance as the match drew to a close.

Hearts: Gordon, Cochrane, Sibbick, Kingsley, Devlin (Atkinson, 45'), Smith (Halliday, 68'), Haring (Souttar, 68'), McKay, Mackay-Steven, Simms (Halkett, 75'), Boyce (Ginnelly, 12'). Subs: Stewart, Woodburn, McEneff, Moore.

Rangers: McLaughlin, Devine, Sands, King, Balogun (Simpson, 61'), Arfield (McCann, 45'), Ramsey (McKinnon, 60'), Davis (Weston, 71'), Lowry, Dialllo (McCausland, 61'), Itten. Subs: McCrorie, Miller, Fraser, Ritchie-Hosler.

Referee: Kevin Clancy