2021/22 Season Review: February

01 June 2022

Hibs 0-0 Hearts

Hearts and Hibs played out a goalless draw on a Tuesday night for the second time that season.

After the September stalemate at Tynecastle, it was a repeat at Easter Road as a series of saves from Hibs stopper Kevin Dubrowski, and a goal line clearance in injury time from Toby Sibbick, left it honours even.

Simms tested Dubrowski late on with another shot inside the area, and then denied the big striker a third time inside the last twenty minutes when Simms barrelled down on goal from the right flank but his powerful effort was diverted wide.

Hibs had been reduced to long range efforts until this point without testing Craig Gordon at all, but they nearly stole a win in stoppage time as sub Josh Campbell got the break of the ball in the area, but Sibbick was on the line to clear sensationally as Hearts settled for a point to remain ten clear in third place. 

Rangers 5-0 Hearts

Hearts went down 5-0 to Rangers at Ibrox Stadium, on a bad day at the office for the Jambos.

Alfredo Morelos scored early into the first half for Rangers, before Alex Cochrane saw a chance go astray just before the half was through.

It was Morelos though that was to be Hearts’ undoing once again. Capitalising on the space in front of him to unleash a rocket high into the top-left corner past a stretching Craig Gordon. Rangers two to the good after 64 minutes.

Glen Kamara tucked the ball home to make it three after 72 minutes.

Rangers added a fourth just minutes later – Scott Arfield steering the ball beyond Gordon following a frantic goalmouth scramble. Rangers completed the scoring on 84 minutes as substitute Fashion Sakala added an extra.

Hearts 1-2 Dundee

Hearts slipped to a disappointing defeat to Dundee at Tynecastle Park. After leading at the interval through an Ellis Simms strike, a second half double from Danny Mullen gave the visitors all three points.

Simms drew out a save from Legzdins before some last gasp defending prevented Liam Boyce from tapping in at the back post.

Hearts struggled to make anything happen with the ball, and then were caught by a sucker punch as Niall McGinn's cross was met by Mullen who volleyed past Gordon.

In stoppage time, Taylor Moore rose highest to head goalwards but Legzdins produced a stunning save to deny the defender, and Hearts faced up to defeat.

Despite that, results elsewhere left the Jambos ten points clear in third as at the start of the evening.

Hearts 0-0 Livingston (Hearts win 4-3 on pens)

Hearts booked their place in the Scottish cup quarter-finals after a Livingston 4-3 penalty shoot-out victory over Livingston at Tynecastle Park.

Craig Gordon was the hero, saving two spot kicks as the Jambos finally saw off their West Lothian opponents.

After a glut of chances in normal time, the game then entered extra time and a superb run from Souttar into the Livi box found Simms who set up sub Liam Boyce but he blazed his effort over the bar.

In the second period of extra time it was all Hearts but despite a big claim for handball from a Nate Atkinson cross and a Kingsley free kick that flew over the bar, there were no more chances to speak of as we headed for penalty kicks.

Scotland's number one was the hero, saving Livi's final two penalties after goals from Souttar, Peter Haring, Ben Woodburn and Simms put the Jambos into a winning position, as they headed for the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup.

St. Johnstone 2-1 Hearts

Hearts were defeated by St Johnstone at McDiarmid Park.

Goals from Ali Crawford and Jamie McCart were enough for the hosts to beat the Jambos, whose response came from Nate Atkinson.

After just 45 seconds, Melker Hallberg found space in the area and squared for Crawford to sweep the ball home from the penalty spot.

Hearts made a quick response, however, when Barrie McKay's shot hit the post from the edge of the area and Atkinson followed up well to finish between the legs of Elliot Parish.

Into the second half, and early on, Josh Ginnelly got in behind the home defence to square for Simms in the area but he blazed the ball over the bar from close range.

The hosts then took the lead from a set piece. Crawford's floated free kick was met by an unchallenged McCart at the back post and he headed into the corner of the net.

St. Mirren 0-2 Hearts

Hearts rounded off the month and got back to winning ways against St. Mirren, winning 2-0 in Paisley. A goal from Ellis Simms, alongside Cammy Devlin’s long awaited first goal in maroon, sent a bumper travelling support home happy.

A largely unremarkable first half, albeit one that Hearts dominated and saw Connor Ronan sent off for the home side, paved the way for a fluid and exciting attacking display from the JTs as Hearts hammered home their dominance on a crisp day in Renfrewshire.

Super sub Ellis Simms broke the deadlock just after the hour mark! The big man connected sweetly with yet another McKay cross – forcing a scrambling stop from Alnwick. Nobody was going to stop Big Ell and he dispatched it flawlessly at the second time of asking to send the travelling Hearts fans into raptures.

Things were about to get a lot better, and fast. Simms, the danger man once more, rampaged through the Buddies line. Alnwick came out sliding to make an excellent stop, but the ball broke favourably to Devlin who fired home to finally secure his first goal for the club.