Match Reports

Match Report: Hearts 2-3 Queen of the South

27th March 2021

Hearts were defeated by Queen of the South in today’s Scottish Championship encounter.

Connor Shields scored a double to put Queens two up in the first half, before Mihai Popescu and Armand Gnanduillet got Hearts level but a late Andy Irving own goal gave the visitors three points.

The Jambos introduced Liam Boyce, Andy Halliday and Mihai Popescu to the side, while Ross Stewart retained his place between the sticks with Craig Gordon away on international duty.

Hearts got off to the worst possible start when, after Popescu gave the ball away, Connor Shields ran through on goal and finished beyond Stewart. Queens had the chance to double their lead moments later when Rhys McCabe swung a ball in that Breen blasted over the bar.

The home side attempted a response when the ball landed to Halliday 20 yards out, but his dipping volley was well saved by Rohan Ferguson, before Queens hit Hearts on the counter.

The visitors doubled their advantage when the ball was slipped through to Shields who broke the offside trap, and finished superbly by lobbing Stewart from outside the area. Hearts had to play with more urgency now, and reduced the arrears just after the half hour when Popescu met a Halliday corner at the front post and headed home.

Stephen Dobbie nearly added a third for the visitors when he found space in the area, but Stewart saved his chip on the line, before Boyce made space at the other end of the pitch superbly but his goal bound shot was blocked.

Into the second half and Hearts tried to freshen things up by introducing Jamie Walker and Euan Henderson, and the move paid dividends almost immediately as Henderson took on his man, hit the byline and crossed for Armand Gnanduillet to finish.

Hearts were now in the ascendancy and it only seemed like one result was coming before disaster struck. Shields whipped in a harmless cross from the left, but with nobody near him, Andy Irving stuck out a left foot and diverted the ball into the net to give Queens the lead again.

Hearts thought they had levelled in stoppage time, when Walker got to the byline and fired in a cross than Gnanduillet headed home, but the assistant ruled the ball had gone out of play before the cross. Walker then had an overhead kick that went just over, as time ran out on the Jambos.

Hearts: Stewart, White, Berra, Gnanduillet, Boyce, Halliday, Mackay-Steven (Walker '63), McEneff (Henderson '70), Irving, Halkett, Popescu. Subs: Zlamal, Haring, Frear, Kastaneer, McGill.

Queen of the South: Ferguson, Maxwell, Buchanan, Obileye, Shields (East '92), Dobbie (Mebude '77), McCabe, Joseph, Breen, Dickson, Gibson. Subs: Leighfield, McKee, Fitzpatrick, Goss, McGrory.

Referee: Gavin Duncan