Match Reports

Match Report: Hearts 1-2 Dundee

9th February 2022

Hearts slipped to a disappointing defeat to Dundee at Tynecastle Park this evening. 

After leading at the interval through an Ellis Simms strike, a second half double from Danny Mullen gave the visitors all three points. 
There were returns to the side for Simms, Peter Haring, and Andy Halliday as the Jambos looked to put their Ibrox defeat to Rangers behind them. 
And they started on the front foot with the ever dangerous Barrie McKay looking lively and testing Adam Legzdins with a low drive. 
McKay then produced a trademark burst of speed through the middle moments later, sliding it through for Simms who blasted the ball home inside the area. 
McKay nearly added one of his own when he broke the offside trap to reach Haring's pass but his dinked effort was cleared off the line. Shortly after he played a neat one two with Simms and saw a shot saved before the rebound from Simms was diverted wide. 
Into the second half and everything seemed to go the opposite of the first half. Dundee levelled four minutes after the restart when Mullen got in behind Haring and blasted a deflected shot past Craig Gordon. 
Hearts went right back on the attack and Simms drew out a save from Legzdins before some last gasp defending prevented Liam Boyce from tapping in at the back post. 
Hearts struggled to make anything happen with the ball, and then were caught by a sucker punch as Niall McGinn's cross was met by Mullen who volleyed past Gordon. 
In stoppage time, Taylor Moore rose highest to head goalwards but Legzdins produced a stunning save to deny the defender, and Hearts faced up to defeat. 
Despite that, results elsewhere leave the Jambos ten points clear in third as at the start of the evening.  

Hearts: Gordon, Kingsley, Souttar, Haring, Baningime (Mackay-Steven, 80'), Boyce, Moore, Halliday (Ginnelly, 64'), McKay (Woodburn, 76'), Simms, Sibbick. Subs: Stewart, McEneff, Devlin, Cochrane, Pollock.

Dundee: Lawlor, Kerr, Fontaine, Sweeeney, McGhee, Byrne, Mullen, Mulligan (Anderson, 64'), McMullan, Rudden (McGinn, 71'), Adam. Subs: Sharp, McDaid, Chapman, McCowan, Roberts, Rossi.

Referee: Colin Steven