Match Reports

Hearts 10-0 Cowdenbeath

28th February 2015

Jambos hit double figures in astonishing afternoon at Tynecastle.


With 6 Nations rugby on, Edinburgh expected a high scoring match. However it was Hearts who dominated the scoring charts, beating Cowdenbeath 10-0 at Tynecastle.

It’s customary to list the goalscorers in this paragraph, but in the interests of time you can read who bagged what and when throughout the rest of this match report.

Robbie Neilson made only one change to the side that won in Dumfries last week; Sam Nicholson replaced the injured Prince Buaben.

It took only two minutes for Hearts to be denied by the woodwork. Nicholson was scythed down at the edge of the box by Nat Wedderbun and Alim Ozturk stepped up to hit the set-piece, but he cannoned the ball off Robbie Thomson’s right-hand post.

Minutes later Thomson pulled off a brilliant block from Billy King, after Jamie Walker flicked the ball into his path.

King then struck the bar after hitting a rocket shot from the edge of the box, and the Gorgie faithful sensed that a goal was coming.

The goal did come in the 25th minute from the penalty spot. Nicholson’s shot was handballed in the box by Wedderburn and Zeefuik made no mistake from the spot.

Only 60 seconds later, Zeefuik made it 2-0. He showed his trademark strength to hold the ball up before driving low into the corner of the net from 20-yards.

Incredibly, Hearts were awarded another penalty a minute later. Nicholson was bundled over inside the box by Lewis Toshney and referee Bobby Madden pointed to the spot, before sending the Cowdenbeath man packing.

Zeefuik stepped up and slotted home, clinching a hat-trick inside three minutes.

With 32 minutes gone it was 4-0. Nicholson picked up the ball 25-yards out and slammed an unstoppable shot into the top corner, leaving Thomson with no chance.

Hearts were utterly relentless going forward, and they bagged another before half-time. Nicholson ran the length of the opposition half before teeing-up Walker at the edge of the box, and he fired low into the bottom right corner.

The Jam Tarts didn’t let up in the second-half, giving the ten men of Cowdenbeath no rest. Thomson did well to block King’s 18-yard free-kick, before Callum Paterson’s close-range effort was cleared off the line.

Ten minutes in, Hearts were given their third penalty of the game after Gomis was tripped while running through on goal. Morgaro dusted himself down and sublimely dinked the ball into the back of the net, sending Thomson the wrong way.

The game became an absolute rout in the hour mark as Hearts bagged their seventh of the game. Ozturk strode forward and struck a blistering effort beyond Thomson from at least 25-yards out to send the Tynecastle support into ecstasy.

Nicholson should’ve grabbed his second of the game after running across the face of goal, leaving blue shirts in his wake, but he blasted over from 10-yards out.

The men in maroon marched towards double figures with a goal courtesy of the skipper. Wilson pounced at close-range to bundle the ball over the line following a goalmouth scramble.

With 15 minutes to go, double figures were reached. Substitute Osman Sow grabbed a brace of low drives to leave everyone in attendance contemplating if what they were watching was actually real.

An incredible afternoon at Tynecastle, as Hearts continue their relentless march towards the Championship title.

Hearts: Alexander, Paterson, Wilson, Ozturk, Gomis, Walker (EL Hassnaoui, 59'), Nicholson, King (Keatings, 59'), Pallardo, Zeefuik (Sow, 59'), Eckersley. Subs: Gallacher, Anderson, McKay, McGhee. 

Cowdenbeath: Thomson, Adamson, O'Brien, Wedderburn, Robertson, Nish, Herron (Milne, 71'), Kane (Armstrong, 46'), Brett, Toshney, Hughes. Subs: Sneddon, Higgins, Brownlie, Oyenuga, Miller.

Referee: Bobby Madden

Top man: The entire Hearts team - phenomenal