Match Report: HMFC 0-3 CFC

22 June 2023

Robbie Neilson made three changes from the midweek trip to Parkhead as Stephen Kingsley, Barrie McKay and Michael Smith replaced Alan Forrest, Cammy Devlin and Nathaniel Atkinson.

It was a fast start from the visitors and Zander Clark was called into action inside the opening minute when beating away a vicious effort from Reo Hatate.

The visitors did get the early lead just a minute later though, as Jota cut the ball back for Aaron Mooy, who curled the ball into the corner from the edge of the box.

It was a decent response from the Jambos and when Kio slipped in Halliday, his inviting cross just needed to be tapped home, but there were no takers waiting in maroon.

Hearts again came close to a leveller on 23 minutes when James Hill nodded Jorge Grant’s corner down to Toby Sibbick and his low shot was magnificently saved by Joe Hart.

The Jambos were working hard and trying to press Celtic, but the visitors continued to create and Clark again came up big to deny Hatate after some intricate play from Celtic on the edge of the box.

Just as it looked like Hearts were going to head in at half-time trailing by a single goal, Kyogo doubled the lead in the final seconds of the half with a neat finish from close range.

Into the second half, Hearts continued to match Celtic for determination and effort, but were struggling to create as many opportunities as they’d have hoped in the final third.

The visitors added a third when Cameron Carter-Vickers headed home Matt O’Riley’s free kick 11 minutes from time to seal the victory. 

Hearts: Clark ©,  Smith (Atkinson, 72), Kingsley (Cochrane, 72), Grant (Kuol, 81), Kio (Devlin, 64), Rowles, Halliday (Forrest, 72), McKay, Sibbick, Ginnelly, Hill

Subs: Stewart, Atkinson, Devlin, Forrest, Cochrane, Neilson, Kuol

Celtic: Hart, Johnston, Carter-Vickers, Starfelt, Taylor, McGregor ©, Hatate, Mooy, Jota, Haksabanovic, Kyogo

Subs: Bain, Abada, Turnbull, Kobayashi, Oh, Iwata, Bernabei, O’Riley, Ralston