Play the Game Sided Street Games is an exciting new programme that has been created as a resource for coaches and volunteers working with young players in grassroots football.
The programme is in the form of a booklet containing over 20 small sided games which encourages players to problem solve, make effective decisions and improvise more. Better still, the games are designed as activities players will be eager to be involved in, due to their attacking and goal-scoring nature. This allows coaches the opportunity to pass more control of the sessions onto the kids therefore making a stimulating, challenging and dynamic environment much easier to create.
In recent months the content of this programme has been delivered by Hearts’ Head of Community, Alan ‘Chalky’ White. Over 1200 grassroots coaches have attended sessions throughout the country at through numerous club visits, regional in-services and legacy events, which have been met with hugely enthusiastic reviews (see below). In addition, Chalky has also delivered a number of the games to candidates, including pro-youth coaches, as part of the Scottish FA’s Advanced Children’s Licence.
Alan said: “The games contained within this booklet all have a problem-solving element. The games are small sided, so players are constantly involved and all the games have that ‘spirit of the street’ feel about them that helped produce our Scottish footballing legends of the past who no doubt were out organising their own street games with friends.
"If you are a novice coach, these games can be used as an alternative to having to design skill practices or sessions and are ideal for creating a quick and exciting start to any session.”
The Street Games programme is available to book for grassroots clubs at their own venue where we can deliver practical demonstrations with their coaches.
Key features of Play the Game Street Games session include:
- A 1.5 hour (approx.) fun and dynamic activity session which demonstrates a number of the Small Sided Street Games using club coaches as participants.
- Q & A and feedback opportunities for coaches to discuss how games can be adapted or tailored for varying facilities and for various ages and stages of player development.
- Each attendee will receive Continuous Coach Development (CCD) accreditation for their coach record on the Scottish FA Live system (if required).
- PDF copy of the Small Sided Street Games booklet for each coach that attends.
- Opportunity to create a bespoke Small Sided Street Games booklet containing a club’s own crest and colours.
- Edinburgh & the Lothians: £5pp (Minimum of 20 participants - flexibility may vary)
- Scottish Borders: £6pp (Minimum of 16 participants)
- Fife: £6pp (Minimum of 16 participants)
- Other areas: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
*Please note that costs are not attributed towards Scottish FA CCD accreditation. The CCD element of course delivery is free of charge, in line with all other Scottish FA CCD events and initiatives.
For more information and to discuss your session please contact email@example.com
“Play is our brains favourite way of learning” - Diane Acherman
“Everything I have achieved in football is due to playing football in the streets with my friends”
- Zinedine Zidane