Match Reports

Match Report: Hibs 0-0 Hearts

1st February 2022

Hearts and Hibs played out a goalless draw on Tuesday night for the second time this season.

After the September stalemate at Tynecastle, it was a repeat at Easter Road as a series of saves from Hibs stopper Kevin Dubrowski, and a goal line clearance in injury time from Toby Sibbick, left it honours even.

Sibbick and Barrie McKay came into the side from the weekend with John Souttar and Gary Mackay-Steven dropping out.

Hearts had the best chance of the opening stages when Beni Baningime found Cammy Devlin in the area, but having beaten the offside trap, the Aussie volleyed over.

In typical frantic fashion, the game saw very early bookings for both sides with Lewis Stevenson and Taylor Moore seeing yellow for stopping counter attacks, and from the free kick given away by Moore, Kevin Nisbet hit the post but he was offside.

Midway through the half, Hearts felt they should have had a penalty. Ellis Simms got the break of the ball in the area but he was taken out by Stevenson, however no spot kick was awarded.

Nathaniel Atkinson was marauding up and down the right flank and he caused chaos by hitting the byline and firing a ball across goal to no takers. Then, just before the interval, Simms knocked the ball onto Liam Boyce whose shot was parried out by Dubrowski to Simms who headed over.

In first half stoppage time, Hearts came even closer when Devlin's rasping shot spun just past the post. Hearts came out all guns blazing in the second half and should have taken the lead.

Barrie McKay slid an inch perfect pass in behind for Simms who drew a superb save from Dubrowski inside the area.

Simms again tested Dubrowski moments later with another shot inside the area, and then denied the big striker a third time inside the last twenty minutes when Simms barrelled down on goal from the right flank but his powerful effort was diverted wide.

Hibs had been reduced to long range efforts until this point without testing Craig Gordon at all, but they nearly stole a win in stoppage time as sub Josh Campbell got the break of the ball in the area, but Sibbick was on the line to clear sensationally as Hearts settled for a point to remain ten clear in third place. 

Hibs: Dabrowski, Doig (Demetri Mitchell, 46'), Porteous, Doidge (Henderson, 79'), Newell (Campbell, 69'), Mueller (Wright, 60'), Nisbet, Stevenson, Doyle-Hayes, Cadden, Bushiri. Subs: David Mitchell, Jasper, Allan, McGregor, Scott.

Hearts: Gordon, Kingsley, Baningime, Boyce, (Ginnelly, 80') Atkinson, Devlin (Haring, 90'), Moore, Halliday (Cochrane, 68'), McKay (Woodburn, 68'), Simms, Sibbick. Subs: Stewart, Mceneff, Mackay-Steven, Henderson, Pollock.

Referee: Don Robertson