First Team

Loan Watch

17th December 2018

There were seven loan stars in action this weekend, battling through tough conditions that saw several SPFL matches called off.

Zanatta rescues points for Wasps

Canadian forward Dario struck just after the hour mark to grab a draw against fellow Championship strugglers Partick Thistle. 

Thistle's all-time record scorer Kris Doolan scored an 18th-minute penalty to put the Jags ahead but Kevin Cawley got one back quickly to tie things up at Firhill after Alan Trouten's magnificent run teed him the midifielder up superbly.

Blair Spittal got his second in two weeks before half-time to give Gary Caldwell's side the lead going into the break. After hitting the wall with his initial free-kick, he drilled in the rebound from 20 yards.

Dario's second-half goal came from a similar position. The forward peeled off his marker to make room for himself, took one touch and drilled it low into the corner from outside the box before a Jurgen Klinsmann-esque celebration in the wet conditions. 

There were no further goals, meaning Alloa remain a point behind Thistle and stay second-bottom in the Championships. 

It's Dario's third goal of the season for Jim Goodwin's side and the Canadian seems to be making a good name for himself in Clackmannanshire.


Keena and Irving play out scoreless draws

There was an incredible set of results in the Championship this weekend as all five results ended in draws. That included Andy Irving's Falkirk, who drew 0-0 with Queen of the South, and Aidan Keena's Dunfermline who also drew 0-0 with Morton.

Falkirk hosted Ray McKinnon's former side Morton but neither could make a breakthrough. Andy was introduced after 69 minutes.

The best chance of the game fell to Morton's Jim McAllister but the midfielder managed to miss his effort from four yards out.

Meanwhile, Dunfermline made the trip to Dumfries to face a Stephen-Dobbie-less Queens. Again, neither side could muster a goal as the weather worsened throughout the game.


Moore's Forfar overcome Hendo's Montrose

Both Lewis Moore and Euan Henderson played the full 90 minutes for both their sides as Forfar recorded a 2-1 win over the Gable Endies.

It was the away side who took the lead in the eighth minute when Martin Rennie scored from the spot.

Dale Hilson was able to find the equaliser just before half-time and it was that man again who scored late on to secure a winner for the Loons.

Sammon helps Well to surprise win

The Saints were nine unbeaten against Motherwell, but that run would end on Saturday as they won in Perth for the first time in six years.

Tom Aldred's back-post header put the Steelmen ahead after only two minutes and Danny Johnson made it two on the 17th-minute, turning in David Turnbull's scuffed effort.

Matty Kennedy's penalty was saved by Mark Gillespie on the half hour mark, and despite Jason Kerr's late goal the Saints could not find an equaliser.

Connor was introduced in the dying moments of the match, replacing Curtis Main.



Edwards' in Saints disMay against Dons

Ryan played the full 90 as Sam Cosgrove's second goal in two games secured a win for Derek McInnes' side.

The Australian was unlucky not to score himself early on, sent clear through on goal but denied by a magnificent sliding challenge from Shay Logan.

The referee awarded a penalty to Aberdeen after pushing and shoving at a corner and Stevie May stepped up to put the Dons ahead - and to score his first league goal in nine months.

19-year-old Cameron MacPherson got one back for the Buddies, getting on the end of Adam Hammill's dinked ball in.

Just after the hour mark, Cosgrove was first to the rebound as Andy Considine's header crashed off the bar and the tall English striker nodded into the net from close range to restore Aberdeen's advantage.