Match Reports

Kilmarnock 2-0 Hearts

26th October 2013

Kris Boyd double for the hosts sends Jambos back to Edinburgh pointless as Killie win battle of rain-soaked Rugby Park.

Kilmarnock 2-0 Heart of Midlothian
(Boyd 16', 60')
From Hearts Media at Rugby Park.

Hearts slumped to defeat as a Kris Boyd-inspired Kilmarnock earned the home side all three points in today's SPFL Premiership encounter in Ayrshire.

Long balls twice caught out the Hearts defence and some expert striking from Boyd earned Killie a 2-0 victory.

Gary Locke made two changes from the side which lost narrowly at Motherwell last week, Callum Paterson and Dylan McGowan taking a seat on the bench, and making way for the returning David Smith and Scott Robinson.

The visitors started brightly, with some nice interplay between Walker and Hamill setting up Stevenson, whose curling effort was goalbound and brought out a top save from Craig Samson.

McHattie's corner found the head of Danny Wilson, but the skipper's header went wide. Soon after, the home side had their first chance. A long ball beat the Hearts defence, and Kris Boyd should have done better as he rifled a shot wide.

The Jambos didn't learn their lesson though, as another long ball split the defence, and Boyd coolly rounded McGhee before firing home past MacDonald.

It went from bad to worse for Hearts moments later, as Ryan Stevenson was injured in a clash with Darren Barr, and had to be replaced.

The former Hearts defender then suffered a similar fate to Stevo, with a severe head knock incapacitating the Scottish Cup winner and causing a 5 minute delay.

Just before the interval, both sides had chances. From a free kick, McHattie hit a shot into the ground, the ball bounced up and Paterson took a fresh air swipe at the ball with the goal gaping . Killie then broke, and MacDonald had to look lively to prevent Johnston from extending Killie's lead.

After the break, some fine wing play from Walker set up a crossing position, but his ball into the box failed to cause trouble after Paterson mistimed his jump.

On the hour, it was a sense of deja vu for Hearts. A long ball evaded Brad McKay, as Boyd's superb first touch allowed him a run at goal where he coolly chipped MacDonald to net his second goal.

Jamie Walker tried to ignite the Hearts support with a fantastic run down the right, but he carried the ball too far and his shot from an acute angle was saved by Samson.

Sadly for the Jambos, a comeback never looked on the cards and the home side held out comfortably to earn a deserved win in the Ayrshire rain.

Kilmarnock: Samson, Tesselaar, Irvine, Barr (Clingan 29'), Nicholson, Boyd, Johnston, Clohessy, Gardyne, O'Hara, Pascali. Subs not used: Reguero, Fowler, Gros, McKenzie, Ashcroft, Muirhead.

Hearts: MacDonald; McGhee, McKay, Wilson, McHattie;  Hamill, Tapping (Carrick 46'); Smith (Nicholson 67'), Robinson, Walker; Stevenson (Paterson 20'). Subs not used: Ridgers, Holt, McGowan, Oliver.

Referee: Kevin Clancy

Top man: Jamie MacDonald