Wee Jambos exit Youth Cup

5th December 2016

Hearts U20s beaten 5-2 by Rangers in Scottish Youth Cup.

Hearst U20s exited the Scottish Youth Cup at the hands of Rangers last night.

The Wee Jambos went down 5-2 at Oriam, dropping out of the competition at the fourth round stage.

It was a positive start for Jon Daly’s side as Christopher Hamilton got on the end of Andrew Irving’s cross to head home the opener inside 12 minutes.

13 minutes later the visitors got back on level terms. Kelby Mason made a good stop from Zak Rudden’s effort from the edge of the box, but Liam Burt followed up to slam home.

Rangers goalkeeper Robby McCrorie made a brace of saves from Irving, before Yves Vladislav was judged to have hauled down Burt inside the box, leaving Ryan Hardie to net from the spot before the half was out.

A slip up at the back nearly gifted Rangers a third at the start of the second-half, when Callumn Morrison’s short backpass was latched onto by Hardie, but his shot was wide of the post, and although the visitors kept the ball in play and squared back to Burt, his follow up was beaten away by Mason.

Hearts continued to search for a foothold back in the game and went close through Irving, who teed himself up for a volley from 18-yards after receiving the ball from an Aaron Reid cross, but he dragged his effort wide.

Burt was a thorn in the Wee Jambos’ side and his pinpoint cross from the left was bundled towards the Hearts goal, but Vladislav got back in time to clear off the line.

At the other end Hearts had their best chance but were denied by the woodwork. Reid’s deep cross found Morrison at the back post and he took a touch before drilling off McCrorie’s right-hand post.

The boys in maroon were unlucky not to be awarded a foul in the box when Leon Jones’ header seemed to be passed back to Rangers ‘keeper McCrorie by one of his own teammates, but referee George Calder decided to play on.

Hardie then grabbed his second of the game, sweeping home after meeting Burt’s cross, and he was denied a hat-trick when Mason pulled off a fantastic block against the odds when the striker looked a stick-on to score.

His third did come however when he got on the end of a through ball and hit a clinical finish beyond Mason to give the wee Gers a 4-1 lead.

Hearts staged a late fightback, with Euan Henderson getting a touch to knock Jones’ header over the line with 14 minutes remaining, but right at the death Burt chipped Mason from all of 40-yards to give Rangers a commanding 5-2 final scoreline.

Hearts: Mason, Vladislav, Reid, Jones, Hamilton, Paton, Morrison, Cochrane, Currie, Irving, Henderson. Subs: Gadja, McLean, Petkov, K. Smith, Leonard, Gillan, Sandison.

Rangers: Robby McCrorie, Ross McCrorie, Beerman, Barjonas, Bradley, Wilson, Burt, Ashmore, Hardie, Lyon, Rudden. Subs: Atakayi, Houston, Jeffries, Gibson, Gilmour, Thomson, Wright.