Reserves: Hearts 9 - Partick Thistle 1

5th March 2019

Hearts put a young Partick Thistle side to the sword as they dominated the Reserve League clash at the Oriam.

The Jambos looked dangerous from the outset and fired a warning shot in the seventh minute when Craig Wighton got on the end of Jamie Brandon's cross and slapped a header off the post.

The hosts made the breakthrough a few minutes later when David Vanecek rolled the ball to Callumn Morrison who was one-on-one. The winger did the honours and slipped the ball under Luke Scullion to put Hearts 1-0 ahead.

They made it 2-0 just after the half-hour mark. Morrison turned provider, playing in Wighton who dinked it over the keeper. Vanecek was waiting to pounce and Thistle midfielder Anton Eadie tried to clear it out of the Czech's path, only to put it into the net.

However, the young Jags hit straight back when Dean Watson burst down the left-hand side and drilled a low cross into the box. Evan Galasso ran across the front post and tapped in to beat Kelby Mason, pulling the scoreline back to 2-1.

Hearts were able to extend the lead on the stroke of half-time. A corner was played short but came back to Andy Irving, who curled a sumptuous cross to the back post where captain Chris Hamilton powered a header in from close range.

The Jambos made three changes at the break with Callumn Morrison, Aidan Keena and Jamie Brandon all coming off to be replaced by Connor Smith, Euan Henderson and Bobby Burns.

Within the first ten minutes of the second-half, the hosts had scored three. First up was Craig Wighton, who tapped home following a mix up at the back which left the goal keeper well off his line.

Henderson made an impact almost immediately - picking up on the half-way line, powering towards the box, dropping his shoulder to go past his man and firing high into the roof of the net.

The forward was dancing through the defence again shortly after, but this time instead of shooting he layed it off to Andy Irving who curled it in from close range.

Irving got his second on the hour mark. Wighton intercepted a back pass and was fouled as he touched it past the defender. Irving stepped up and curled it low into the keeper's near side, hitting the post and going in.

Dave Vanecek finally got his goal in the 76th minute. Wighton chipped the ball back to Cochrane - who had already driven a few shots close in both halves - on the edge of the area and he curled a shot towards goal. Vanecek stuck a toe at it, deceiving the Thistle keeper and making it 8-1.

The goalscoring was rounded up five minutes later, in very bizarre circumstances. Thistle tried to clear their lines but the ball hit a Jags man and deflected back to Henderson, who was left clear through on goal. He rolled it past Scullion and the assistant referee kept his flag down, leaving the final scoreline 9-1.

Hearts: Mason; Brandon (Burns 46'), Hamilton, Shaughnessy, Hickey (Sandison 61'); Cochrane, Irving; Morrison (C. Smith 46'), Wighton; Vanecek, Keena (Henderson 46').
Subs: Silva, Ritchie.

Partick Thistle: Scullion; Duncanson, Rodden (Vezza 78'), Duncan, McIntyre; Eadie, Gordon (Griffiths 57'), Niane, Renfrew (Crooks 57'), Galasso, Watson.