Match Reports

Raith Rovers 1-1 Hearts (AET); 4-5 Pens

27th August 2013

Hearts win in penalty shootout at Stark's Park to secure place in League Cup third round.

Raith Rovers 1-1 Heart of Midlothian (AET); 4-5 Pens
(Fox 49' - Hamill 60')
From Hearts Media at Stark's Park.

Hearts beat Raith Rovers in a dramatic penalty shootout to book their place in the third round of the Scottish League Cup.

Jamie Hamill's second half penalty cancelled out Liam Fox's opener as the home side were reduced to ten men. The Jambos emerged victorious from the penalty shootout with substitute goalkeeper Mark Ridgers saving two and Brad McKay scoring the winner.

Following Saturday's 2-1 home win over Aberdeen the gaffer elected to keep the same team, with match winner Jordan McGhee named amongst the five subs.

Hearts registered the first shot on target after five minutes. Jason Holt received a lovely inside pass from Jamie Walker and burst forward before shooting low from 25 yards, though David McGurn got down well to make the save.

Raith began to pile on the pressure and on 21 minutes forced a good save from Jamie Macdonald. Ex-Jambo Gordon Smith bore down on the Hearts defence before slipping in Joe Cardle who shot from an angle inside the box, but Macdonald dived to his right to push the ball wide.

From that save the Jambos were forced into making their first substitution of the match as Macdonald suffered a foot injury. Mark Ridgers replaced the Hearts no. 1 for his first appearance of the season.

The big 'keeper stamped his authority on the game on 37 minutes when he made a superb one-on-one block from Gordon Smith on the edge of the six yard box.

Ridgers was called into action again four minutes later. Calum Elliot unleashed a dipping shot from 30 yards but the highlander flung himself across his line to parry the ball away from goal.

Kevin McHattie tried his own luck from distance just before half time though his shot took a deflection as it narrowly missed the Raith crossbar.

Four minutes after the restart the home side took the lead. With Raith deep in the Hearts box a game of pinball began with several Rovers players lining up to take shots, only to be blocked by a combination of Ridgers and maroon shirts. The ball eventually fell to Liam Fox who steered his shot past a wall of bodies and into the corner of the net.

The Jambos were handed a lifeline on the hour mark when Billy King was tripped inside the area and referee Brain Colvin awarded a penalty. Jamie Hamill stepped up and slotted home to the rapture of 2050 travelling Hearts fans.

With 72 minutes gone Raith were reduced to ten men following an off the ball altercation between Hamill and Douglas Hill. The Rovers defender saw red for violent conduct.

Substitute David Smith almost won it for Hearts two minutes into injury time. He chased down a Walker ball that zipped across the face of goal, but his shot from the edge of the six yard box was blocked behind.

Neither side could gain advantage after 90 minutes so extra time was required to determine who would advance to the third round. David Smith again went close only two minutes into the first period of when he chested the ball down and with his back to goal spun and shot from 30 yards. His looping shot couldn't dip however before it cleared the crossbar.

Despite having a numerical disadvantage Raith Rovers pushed for the winner. First Callum Booth shot into the side netting from the edge of the box before Ross Callachan's long distance drive was stopped by Ridgers.

Hearts made a bright start to the second period of extra time as Jamie Walker curled a run around the face of the box before letting fly with a rasping left foot effort, though McGurn was on hand with a diving save at his near post.

Gary Oliver, who made his first competitive appearance in a maroon jersey, showed quick feet to dance into the Raith box as he forced another save out of the Raith 'keeper who got down to block his powerful close range shot.

The Jambos spent the final five minutes of added on time camped outside the home box but no avail, as penalty kicks were to decide the outcome of this match.

Raith's Paul Watson scored the first penalty of the shootout, before Danny Wilson blasted his spot-kick well over the bar to give the home side the lead. Lewis Vaughan then dragged his effort wide as Hamill slotted his penalty into the bottom corner to even things up. Former Jambo Elliot then rattled the back of the net but not before Dylan McGowan calmly side footed his penalty beyond McGurn.

Callum Booth then made it 3-2 but Walker scored to put Hearts back on level terms. Ridgers then produced a stunning save to deny Fox. Kevin McHattie had the chance to win it for the maroons but his effort was straight at the Raith 'keeper.

Jason Thomson sent his penalty over the bar in sudden death, presenting Hearts with another chance to win the tie. Jason Holt stepped up but dragged his shot horribly wide. All square again, Cardle put Raith in front as David Smith had to score to keep Hearts in the match. And score he did with a sublime effort into the top corner.

Riders was again the hero when he got down to save Callachan's shot, and Brad McKay duly responded by scoring his penalty to ensure Hearts would be in the draw for the third round of the Scottish League Cup.

listen to ‘Gary Locke, Post match Raith Rovers, 27/8/13.’ on Audioboo

Raith Rovers: McGurn, Thomson, Booth, Watson, Hill, Fox, Cardle, Moon (Callachan, 98'), Elliot, Anderson (Vaughan, 84'), G. Smith (Ellis, 74'). Subs not used: Donaldson, Roberts.

Hearts: Macdonald (Ridgers, 24'); McGowan, McKay, Wilson, McHattie; Hamill, Robinson (Oliver, 54'); B. King (D. Smith, 76'), Holt, Walker; Paterson Subs not used: McGhee, Tapping.

Referee: Brian Colvin

Top man: Jamie Hamill