Match Reports

Partick Thistle 2-0 Hearts

25th February 2017

Ten man Hearts go down to Partick Thistle.

Hearts fell to a 2-0 defeat at Firhill today as a goal in each half earned the Maryhill side all three points.

An early strike by Kris Doolan gave the Jags the lead, before Isma Goncalves saw red for two bookable offences in the second half.

Partick secured the win with 18 minutes remaining as they took advantage of their extra man, and Liam Lindsay shot home inside the area to double their lead.

Ian Cathro initially made two changes from the side that were defeated on Wednesday night by Hibs, with Krystian Nowak and Rory Currie replacing Perry Kitchen and Malo Martin. 

However, the Head Coach was forced into an additional change prior to the match, as Faycal Rherras replaced Aaron Hughes.

Lennard Sowah moved in one to play at centre-half, while Nowak slotted into midfield alongside Alex Tziolis with Isma Goncalves being partnered up top by Currie, one of the few bright spots from the derby defeat in midweek.

Hearts had the first chance of the match within three minutes. Tziolis played a through ball to Goncalves, who held off his marker but fired his shot over the bar, although the ball was bouncing awkwardly in front of the striker.

The home side took the lead on four minutes as Hearts failed to deal with a free kick into the box. The ball fell to Kris Doolan who held off his marker, spun and shot past Jack Hamilton from close range.

The away side were restricted to a few long range efforts from Jamie Walker, which failed to trouble Tomas Cerny, while Thistle were content to let Hearts have the ball and play on the break.

On the half hour, Tziolis was next to try his luck from distance as he attempted a 20 yard volley from a Goncalves pass, but the shot lacked the accuracy to trouble the keeper.

Jamie Walker was toiling by this point. Having taken a kick to the face from close range early on, the captain’s vision was compromised and just prior to half-time he was replaced by Sam Nicholson.

Moments before this, Hamilton made a superb save to deny Doolan a second goal after a powerful header from a Callum Booth cross.

On the 58th minute, the travelling support were introduced to a new face as debutant Dylan Bikey replaced the hard-working Currie up front.

After an hour, the away side’s job was made more difficult as Goncalves saw red after a late challenge down in the corner of the Hearts half.

Rherras then tried to take advantage of a quick free-kick by Djoum, but after cutting in from the left flank, his long-range shot went over the bar and into the home support.

Thistle put the game beyond doubt on 72 minutes after Osman chased down a loose ball at the back post and crossed into the box. Liam Lindsay took the ball down, turned and fired home inside the crowded area.

That was the last of the action as the home side took all three points on this occasion.

Partick Thistle: Cerny, Dumbuya (Elliott, 51'), Booth, Lindsay, Osman, Doolan (Azeez, 82'), Erskine (Lawless, 75'), Barton, Devine, Keown, Edwards. Subs: Ridgers, Amoo, Nisbet, McCarthy.

Hearts: Hamilton, Struna, Avlonitis, Rherras (Choulay, 80'), Sowah, Tziolis, Nowak, Djoum, Walker (Nicholson, 42'), Currie (Bikey, 58'), Isma. Subs: Noring, L.Smith, Kitchen, Martin.

Referee: Nick Walsh

Top Man: Jack Hamilton