Match Reports

Partick Thistle 0-4 Hearts

31st October 2015

Hearts rout Partick Thistle at Firhill.


Hearts ran out comfortable 4-0 winners away to Partick Thistle on Saturday.

There to be no Halloween horror show for the Gorgie Boys as doubles for Juanma and Osman Sow gave the Jambos all three points.

Robbie Neilson made three changes to the side that went down 2-1 during midweek to Celtic. Juwon Oshaniwa returned from injury and the suspended Blazej Augustyn sat out, while Aranud Djoum and Danny Swanson came in for Morgaro Gomis and Jamie Walker, the latter missed out altogether through injury.

Hearts attacked from the off and were awarded a free-kick after only two minutes when Osman Sow was dragged to the ground. Captain Callum Paterson hit it from 25-yards but dragged his effort wide of the target.

The Jambos were quick to threaten again when Djoum’s fantastic interception sent Juanma down the left, and although his ball back in saw the Belgian’s blast blocked in the box, the rebound fell to Swanson who curled a shot inches wide of Ryan Scully’s left-hand post.

Thistle looked dangerous down the flanks and David Amoo’s 17th minute cross from the touchline found Stuart Bannigan unmarked at the back door, but he flashed a half-volley over the bar.

The breakthrough came in 36 minutes and it was for the Jambos. Swanson’s free-kick was headed on target by Sam Nicholson, which forced Scully into a diving save but Sow got to the rebound first to cut back across the face of goal for Juanma to stab into the back of the net.

Swanson showed his striking prowess with a brilliant hit – at an angle – from inside the box but Scully stood his ground to make a block at his near post.

Six minutes into the restart Hearts doubled their lead. Juanma turned provider as he tore down the right and cut inside for Sow, who spun away from his man inside the box and prodded beyond Scully from six yards.

Hearts continued to press and a wayward pass was cut out by Djoum, who fed Paterson and the skipper burst forward before unleashing a rocket shot that Scully did well to palm away.

Referee Steven McLean pointed to the spot after 62 minutes when Djoum was brought down when clean through on goal and Juanma duly dispatched to put Hearts 3-0 up.

Scully again denied Paterson, this time from a left-foot thunderbolt outside the box as Hearts refused to rest on their laurels.

Hearts were awarded another penalty when Scully cleaned out Sow was through on goal – and saw red for his troubles – with five minutes remaining. Ryan Stevenson had to go between the sticks as Partick had used all their subs, but he couldn’t stop Sow’s smash into the corner.

A tremendous win for the Jambos, which sees them move up to second place in the Ladbrokes Premiership table.

Partick Thistle: Scully, Seaborne (Frans, 65'), Welsh (Muirhead, 58'), Booth, Osman, Amoo, Bannigan, Lawless (Stevenson, 53'), Dumbuya, Lindsay, Pogba. Subs: Gallacher, Miller, Doolan, Fraser.

Hearts: Alexander, Paterson, McGhee, Rossi, Oshaniwa, Djoum, Buaben, Nicholson (Zanatta, 70'), Swanson (Gomis, 58'), Juanma (King, 63'), Sow. Subs: Hamilton, L. Smith, Baur, Reilly.

Referee: Steven McLean

Top man: Osman Sow