Match Reports

Match Report: Hearts 2-1 Hibs (AET)

31st October 2020

Hearts once again earned the capital derby rights as they beat Hibs 2-1 after extra time to book a second successive Scottish Cup Final spot.

Craig Wighton’s opener was cancelled out by Christian Doidge’s header, but Liam Boyce’s extra time penalty sealed a deserved victory for Robbie Neilson’s side.

Hearts were first to work the goalkeeper, twice in quick succession. Michael Smith’s quick free-kick slipped in Jamie Walker, who advanced into the box but saw his shot held by Ofir Marciano, then Jordan Roberts tried his luck from distance but again the Hibs keeper held on to the ball.

Hibs carved open the Jambos’ defence on 15 minutes, with Kyle Magennis finding space to shoot from inside the box but Smith made an excellent block to save the day.

Five minutes later Olly Lee struck a first-time volley from the edge of the Hibs box but his effort flew inches wide of Marciano’s left-hand post.

Just before the half hour mark Craig Gordon pulled off a world-class save to keep the score level. Kevin Nisbet headed from six-yards after getting on the end of a cross but the Hearts No.1 pulled offa point-blank one-handed save.

Hearts had a brace of chances before the half was out. Roberts blasted an effort from 18-yards that Marciano stopped, and two minutes later some tremendous work from Liam Boyce inside the box saw Wighton whip in a cross that was inches ahead of the advancing Walker.  

Steven Naismith and Peter Haring were introduced in the 56th minute and three minutes later the Jambos broke the deadlock. Lee broke down the right to swing a cross into the six-yard box and Wighton popped up to steer his header beyond Marciano and into the bottom corner.

The lead would only last for seven minutes. Doidge was picked out at a free-kick and he nestled a header of his own into the net.

Hearts would go close again with 20 minutes remaining. Lee squared a ball inside to Wighton who shot wide, then Naismith slipped in Boyce but his finish rolled inches past the post.

Into extra time, Gordon came to the rescue again, pushing an Alex Gogic long-range shot onto the post.

A dramatic second period of extra time settled the result. Mihai Popescu was judged to have brought down Joe Newell inside the box but Nesbit blasted his spot kick off the bar. Then, in the 111th minute, substitute Aidy White was bundled over in the penalty area and referee Willie Collum pointed to the spot, leaving Boyce to hammer home his penalty and give Hearts a 2-1 lead.

There was still time for Gordon to pull another spectacular save out of the bag, denying Doidge’s overhead kick, and the Jambos held on for a thoroughly deserved victory and their second Scottish Cup Final appearance in a row.