Match Reports

Match Report: Cowdenbeath 0-1 Hearts

10th October 2020

Hearts made it two Betfred Cup wins from two after defeating Cowdenbeath 1-0 this afternoon.

Hearts made it two Betfred Cup wins from two after defeating Cowdenbeath 1-0 this afternoon.

The Blue Brazil proved stubborn opponents at Bayview and defended impressively, but Craig Halkett’s 78th minute header proved to be the difference and handed the men in maroon a deserved victory.

Robbie Neilson handed a first-team debut to Scott McGill, with Jordan Roberts replacing Craig Wighton who started Tuesday night’s win over Inverness CT.

Hearts had the majority of possession in the opening stages but the first real moment of drama occurred on nine minutes when Cowdenbeath’s Craig Barr hit the deck inside the box but referee Alan Newlands waved play on.

Roberts and Josh Ginnelly were working the flanks and after the quarter hour mark the former got down the left and found the latter with a cross, but the result was a mis hit effort.

At the other end Kris Renton hit a tame shot that Craig Gordon easily scooped up before the best chance of the half after 30 minutes, when Olly Lee’s free kick was sliced across goal by Halkett and Jamie Walker’s flying header flew narrowly over the bar.

Soon after Walker’s corner was met by Halkett but his looping header was stopped by Ross Sinclair on his line.

The home side had one more effort before the half was out with Renton showing good strength to hold the ball up inside the Hearts box before turning to shoot but his drive was straight at Gordon.

Wighton replaced Steven Naismith at half time as the game continued in a similar vein to the first half.

Ginnelly weaved his way past two defenders and into the box but despite appearing to be sandwiched to the floor, no penalty was given.

The on-loan Preston winger was involved again on 56 minutes, meeting Roberts’ swinging cross but he could only bullet a header over the bar.

Hearts kept up the pressure, with Wigton’ header blocked inside the box and Roberts managed to wrap his foot around the ball only to send his shot wide of the target.

By the 75th minute the Jambos were bombarding Cowndenbeath’s final third. Lee did well to keep hold of the ball out on the left before feeding Walker at the edge of the box but his curling effort flew inches wide of Sinclair’s left-hand post.

With 12 minutes remaining the deadlock was finally broken. Substitute Elliott Frear’s corner from the right was met by Halkett, who powered a header beyond Sinclair and into the back of the net.

Deep into stoppage time Roberts chased a ball into the Cowdenbeath box and was barged from behind as the ball ran out of play and the referee pointed to the spot. Walker stepped up but saw his effort saved, with Frear's rebound blocked behind.

Cowdenbeath: Sinclair, Pollock, Clarke, Todd, Barr, Miller, Taylor, Kavanagh, Renton (Cox, 58’), Herd, Hamilton. Subs: Swann, Easton, Sneddon, Whyte, Owens, Glass.

Hearts: Gordon, White, Walker, Lee (Haring, 82’), Roberts, Naismith (Wighton, 46’), Brandon, Halkett, Popescu, Ginnelly, McGill (Frear, 64’). Subs: Zlamal, Cochrane, Moore, Henderson.