First Team

Loan Watch

3rd December 2018

Welcome back to Loan Watch! Seven loan stars were in action over the weekend, with two getting their names on the scoresheet.

Hendo helps Montrose to surprise win

Euan Henderson only took two minutes to open the scoring for Montrose in their League One clash against East Fife, with Hearts manager Craig Levein watching on.

Receiving the ball on the half-way line from Ryan Harrington, the 18-year-old surged to the box before cutting in on his right-foot and driving his shot across the keeper and into the net.

On the hour mark Martin Rennie doubled Montrose's lead from the penalty spot. Euan was then replaced by Martyn Fotheringham with four mintues left to play.

Rory Currie was also involved, playing the full 90 minutes for East Fife.

Keena back amongst the goals for the Pars

Aidan Keena grabbed another goal as Dunfermline coasted past Morton to win 3-0 at East End Park. 

It was another early goal for an on-loan Hearts striker, with the Irishman only taking three minutes to get himself on the scoresheet.

After former Hearts man Robbie Muirhead smacked the post, Keena picked up the rebound and put it in from close range to score his third of the season.

Faissal El Bakhtaoui added another from the penalty spot just before half-time, before James Craigen added the icing to the cake four minutes from time.

Malaury Martin was named on the bench for Allan Johnston's side but didn't enter the action.


Saints beaten by bottom rivals

Ryan Edwards' St Mirren lost a vital clash against fellow strugglers Hamilton Accies at the Simple Digital Arena.

The Australian was introduced after 34 minutes, replacing Ian McShane.

Dougie Imrie's looped header opened the scoring for Accies before another set piece caught the Saints sleeping and Ziggy Gordon stretched Hamilton's lead.

Stephen McGinn got one back for the Saints, poking past the keeper when Ethan Erhahon put a cleared corner back into the box.

Former Hearts man James Keatings rounded off the scoring for Accies, curling a superb long-range effort into the top corner.


Irving's Falkirk record memorable win

Andy Irving was introduced as a second-half substitute as the Bairns squeezed past Inverness Caledonian Thistle with a 3-2 win in the Highlands.

Tom Walsh opened the scoring for the Caley Jags before on-loan Rangers' striker Zak Rudden bagged two, putting Falkirk 2-1 up before half-time.

George Oakley equalized for the home side and Andy Irving was thrown on with 10 minutes to go.

Then, with almost the last kick of the ball, Scott Harrison scored a late winner for Ray McKinnon's men. After Andy Irving was fouled, Paton swung in a deep free-kick which was poked in by defender Harrison at the back-post.


 Wasps lose late goal to Staggies

Dario Zanatta's Wasps were unable to overcome a Ross County side that look likely to battle Ayr United for automatic promotion.

Dario played the full 90 minutes, and was booked for simulation after going down in the box just before the hour mark.

It looked like Jim Goodwin's side might pick up a valubale point, but Keith Watson scored in the 91st minute to ensure the Staggies returned to the Highlands with all three points.


Moore can't climb above Stranraer

Forfar fell to a 2-1 defeat at Stair Park as Stranraer proved to be too strong for the Loons.

Lewis Moore managed 85 minutes for Jim Weir's side before being replaced.

Luke Donnelly opened the scoring for the Blues before Conor McManus made it two. John Baird scored from the penalty spot for Forfar, ensuring a tense finish.

Meanwhile, Bobby Burns, Conor Sammon, Kevin Silva, and Chris Hamilton were all unused subs for Livingston, Motherwell, Raith Rovers, and Berwick Rangers respectively.