First Team

Jambos lose out to Dons in friendly

23rd June 2016

Hearts beaten 1-0 by Aberdeen in closed-doors friendly.

Hearts lost 1-0 against Aberdeen in today’s closed-doors friendly match at St Andrews.

Shay Logan’s 33rd minute header was all that separated the two teams, however Arnaud Djoum missed a second-half penalty for Robbie Neilson’s men.

The Jambos enjoyed the lion’s share of early possession, keeping the ball well and attacking the Aberdeen final third.

After 18 minutes Don Cowie chased down a long ball to cut back for Juwon Oshaniwa at the edge of the six-yard box, but he fired across the face of goal with no takers at the other end.

A minute later Billy King held off his man to turn and shoot from 20-yards, dragging his effort wide of the target.

Dario Zanatta passed up a golden opportunity to put Hearts in front after 21 minutes when he was slipped clean through by King, but with only the ‘keeper to beat the Canadian shanked his shot wide.

Robbie Muirhead was next to try his luck, running into the Dons’ half and unleashing a thunderbolt 25-yard drive, only to be denied by a great flying save from Joe Lewis.

Aberdeen had a chance of their own to open the scoring just before the half hour mark, with Jayden Stockley letting fly from the edge of the box but Jordan McGhee did well to deflect the ball behind.

Hearts’ trialist goalkeeper then got down to his right to deny Adam Rooney’s snapshot, turning the ball around his right-hand post.

It was the Dons who opened the scoring on 33 minutes. Logan was first to meet Kenny McLean’s corner, and the full-back steered his header into the bottom right corner of the net.

McLean went close to doubling the lead before the half was out, curling a 25-yard free-kick inches round the post.

The Jambos were presented with the perfect opportunity to get back on level terms nine minutes into the restart. Callum Paterson’s cross found Juanma, who took a touch and shot goalwards only for Ash Taylor handle the ball and concede a penalty. However, Djoum rifled the spot kick off the crossbar.

Moments later another chance went begging. Paterson’s flick on from a corner found Alim Ozturk unmarked six-yards out, but the skipper blasted clean over the target.

Aberdeen had a chance of their own on 61 minutes, with a deep cross to the back post finding Stockley, who could only header straight at Hearts’ second trialist goalkeeper.

Hearts were proving dangerous on the attack and went close when Juanma ran into the left flank to cross for Conor Sammon, but his header looped over the crossbar.

Jamie Walker weaved his way through the Abredeen half in the 75th minute before striking from distance and inches over Lewis’ bar.

Lewis then denied Ozturk with a fingertip save from a 25-yard rocket free-kick, after Walker had been clattered into by Willo Flood, as Hearts pushed for the equaliser.

Juanma went close with a near-post drill that was stopped by Lewis, and Aberdeen held on for the win.

Hearts (first-half): Trialist A, Godinho, Souttar, McGhee, Oshaniwa, King, Gomis, Cowie (Beith, 33’), Zanatta, Todorov, Muirhead.

Hearts (second-half): Trialist B, Paterson, Ozturk, Rossi, Rherras, Nicholson, Djoum, Buaben, Walker, Sammon, Juanma.