Match Reports

Hibs 1-2 Hearts

27th April 2014

Jambos notch up fourth derby win of the season with 2-1 victory over Hibs at Easter Road.

Hibs 1-2 Heart of Midlothian
(Forster 69' - Paterson 36' & 40')
From Hearts Media at Easter Road.

Hearts won the final - and their fourth - Edinburgh derby of the season 2-1 at Easter Road on Sunday.

A first-half Callum Paterson brace was enough to seal all three points, though Hibs made a spirited comeback in the second half and pulled one back through Jordon Forster.

The Jambos welcomed back captain Danny Wilson into the starting line-up, while Scott Robinson replaced the suspended Jamie Hamill in the middle of the park.

The game started at typical breakneck derby pace. Though Hearts had the majority of the possession in the opening 20 minutes, it was the home side who registered the first chance of the match when Jason Cummings' header from the penalty sport looped just wide of the post, though Jamie MacDonald looked to have had it covered.

Though Hearts continued to dominate, it was Cummings again who went close, this time in the 32nd minute. He collected the ball inside the Hearts half and drove low from 30 yards, but MacDonald got down well to block in front of his left-hand post.

It took the Jambos 36 minutes to register an attempt on goal, but when they did, they scored. Billy King's corner from the left was met by Callum Paterson at the back door and he powerfully headed down and across the face of goal, into the back of the net.

Only four minutes later it was 2-0. Kevin McHattie's free-kick from 25 yards out was nodded in at the far post by that man again, Callum Paterson.

Hibs started the second half brightly. Alex Harris did well to cut inside and away from the shackles of two maroon shirts but his powerful drive from inside the box was deflected behind.

The Jambos steadied themselves and once again began to press. McHattie stung the hands of Ben Williams with a 30 yard pilederiver in the 55th minute, before Sam Nicholson made way for David Smith.

MacDonald was again on hand to make sure that Hearts would protect their lead, this time he parried from Liam Craig's 62nd minute curling free-kick.

Hibs continued to threaten and they halved the deficit after 69 minutes. Duncan Watmore's cross into the box was thundered into the back of the net, courtesy of Jordon Forster's bullet header.

A tense final quarter of the match followed and Hearts had a golden chance to wrap up proceedings in the 89th minute. Ryan Stevenson sprung the offside trap and dinked the ball over the rushing Williams, but it bounced agonisingly inches wide of the wrong side of the post.

Despite an additional six minutes of added time, and a spectacular MacDonald save from James Collins - albeit from an offside position - Hearts held on to record their fourth Edinburgh derby win of the season. 

Hibs: Williams, McGivern, Nelson, Harris, Robertson (Watmore, 66'), Craig, Maybury, Forster, Stanton, Cummings (Collins, 71'), Thomson. Subs: Murdoch, Boateng, L. Stevenson, Tudor-Jones, Handling.

Hearts: MacDonald; Paterson, McGowan, Wilson, McHattie; King (walker, 80'), Robinson, Holt, Nicholson (Smith, 56'), Stevenson; Carrick (McKay, 87'). Subs: Ridgers, McGhee, Oliver, McCallum.

Referee: Bobby Madden

Top man: Jason Holt