Match Reports

Hibs 1-1 Heart of Midlothian

26th October 2014

Alim Ozturk rescues point for Hearts in dramatic last finish at Easter Road.


Hearts emerged with a point in Sunday’s Edinburgh derby after drawing 1-1 with Hibs at Easter Road.

Dominique Malonga’s first-half strike separated the two teams, with Callum Paterson seeing red late on for Robbie Neilson’s men, but Alim Ozturk rescued a point in stoppage time with a simply brilliant long-range thunderbolt.

The Jambos lined-up much the same as they did for the 5-1 win over Dumbarton a week previously, but with the returning Danny Wilson slotting in for Jordan McGhee, who dropped to the bench.

The opening fifteen minutes were a tight affair, with Hearts looking composed on the ball and dangerous going forward. Hibs, too, looked to pass the ball around as windy conditions hindered long-balls.

Neil Alexander was the first ‘keeper to be called into action in the 20th minute. Scott Allan found himself free at the back post and his ball back across the face of goal was struck by Danny handling, but Alexander stood firm to block the shot and gather at the second time of asking.

A mix-up in defence almost gifted Hibs the opener. David Gray’s long-ball forward was misjudged by Wilson, and with Alexander at the edge of the box Dominique Malonga touched over his head, but Jason Cummings couldn’t stop the ball running behind and out of play when the goal stood empty.

At the other end Soufian El Hassnaoui passed up a golden chance to put Hearts in front. Ozturk’s raking ball bounced over Paul Hanlon’s head and El Hassnaoui latched onto it but his powerful drive from inside the box was straight at Mark Oxley who beat the ball away.

With two minutes to go until half-time the deadlock was broken, and it was the home side who took the lead. Allan’s corner from the left wasn’t cleared and after some ping-pong inside the Hearts box Malonga thundered the ball home from close range.

The teams emerged for the second-half with no changes, and Hibs could’ve doubled their lead instantly. Allan’s cross from the right was met by Malonga but he couldn’t steer his header on target.

Jamie Walker and Jordan McGhee were introduced early in the second-half as Hearts looked to get a foot back into the game. It almost happened in the 58th minute when Prince Buaben burst through the Hibs defence, but his angled dink over Oxley fell wide of the target.

Hearts were left with a mountain to climb when Callum Paterson saw red for a lunge from behind on Malonga in the middle of the park, which left the Jambos with ten men for the final ten minutes.

When all looked lost, Hearts grabbed the equaliser in the most spectacular fashion. Ozturk strode into the Hibs half before unleashing an unstoppable drive from all of 35-yards which hit the underside of the crossbar and bounced into the back of  net.

The most dramatic of finishes and Hearts maintain their unbeaten start to the season.

Hibs: Oxley, Gary, Hanlon, Fontaine, Stevenson, Robertson, Allan (Stanton, 73'), McGeouch, Handling (Harris, 73'), Malonga, Cummings (Kennedy, 83'). Subs: Perntreou, Craig, Heffernan, Booth.

Hearts: Alexander, Paterson, Wilson (McGhee, 57'), Ozturk, Gomis, El Hassnaoui (Walker, 54'), Nicholson, King (Buchanan, 86'), Buaben, Sow, Eckersley. Subs: Hamilton, McHattie, Holt, Pallardo.

Referee: Bobby Madden

Top man: Prince Buaben