Match Reports

Hibs 1-0 Hearts

16th February 2016

Jambos out of Scottish Cup.


Hearts exited the William Hill Scottish Cup at the hands of Hibs, losing 1-0 at Easter Road.

Jason Cummings' early strike was all that separated the two sides, who both ended up with ten men.

Robbie Neilson made three changes from the side that beat Ross County 3-0 in Dingwall six days ago; Blazej Augustyn and Igor Rossi returned from suspension to replace John Souttar and Juwon Oshaniwa, while Abiola Dauda started in place of Gavin Reilly.

Hearts got off to the worst possible start, conceding after only four minutes. David Gray had all the time in the world to swing in a cross from the left, and Cummings ghosted into the six-yard box to slam home, high into the roof of the net.

The Jambos went up the park moments later and went close. Jamie Walker picked up a loose ball deep in the Hibs half and found Callum Paterson on the right and his swinging cross into the box found Dauda, but he could only get the faintest of touches and failed to steer the ball on target.

It should’ve been 2-0 on ten minutes but Hibs were denied by the heroics of Neil Alexander. A pass through to Anthony Stokes carved open the Hearts defence and his early ball back into Cummings saw him one-on-one with the Jambos ‘keeper, but he made a brilliant block with his feet to send the ball behind.

Hearts thought they had equalised after 20 minutes. Jordan McGhee’s ball to the back door was nodded into the net by Dauda at the back door, but after a very long pause the linesman flagged for offside.

The home side passed up another good chance midway through the first half. Cummings broke free through middle and sent the ball out wide to Stokes, who cut inside into the box before pulling the trigger, but he hit straight at Alexander who made the save.

Paterson had Mark Oxley scrambling across his line in the 35th minute, after he cut inside and hit a low shot from 25-yards, however it fell inches wide of the Hibs ‘keeper’s left-hand post.

Hearts started the second-half brightly and went close in the 53rd minute. Paterson’s deep cross found Rossi unmarked at the back post, but his first-time shot hit the side netting.

Both sides hit long-range efforts, with John McGinn and Dauda trying their luck, but neither could find the target.

The men in maroon continued to push for an equaliser, and were inches away from grabbing one when Paterson sent a cracking ball across the face of the six-yard box, but it just evaded the outstretched Juanma and carried on out for a throw.

Hearts again had the ball in the back of the net but again, it was flagged for offside. Paterson’s cross was knocked off Juanma’s chest by Oxley and the ball spun into the net, but the Spainaird was marginally offside when the ball was played in.

Hibs were dangerous on the break, with a long ball bouncing into the path of Cummings, but his audacious effort from outside the box was pounced on by Alexander at his near post.

A bizarre three-minute spell saw both teams reduced to ten men. First, Augustyn received a second yellow for throwing the ball back after a foul, then Cummings got his second yellow for an off the ball incident.

Hearts continued to throw everything at Hibs but couldn’t find a breakthrough, even with five minutes of injury time added on.

Hibs: Oxley, Gray, Hanlon, McGregor Stevenson, Henderson (Boyle, 87'), Bartley, Thomson (Carmichael, 68'), McGinn, Stokes (Keatings, 90'), Cummings. Subs: Virtanen, Fontaine, Gunnarsson, Dagnall.

Hearts: Alexander, Paterson, Augustyn, Rossi (Souttar, 76'), McGhee, Cowie, Pallardo (Nicholson, 58'), Djoum, Walker (Zanatta, 83'), Juanma, Dauda. Subs: Hamilton, Oshaniwa, Beith, Reilly.

Referee: John Beaton

Top Man: Juanma