Match Reports

Hearts 5-1 Cowdenbeath

20th September 2014

Five-star Hearts put Cowdenbeath to the sword at Tynecastle.


A sizzling second-half performance from Hearts saw the men in maroon defeat Cowdenbeath 5-1 at Tynecastle today.

The teams went into the break all-square after Callum Gallagher had cancelled out Billy King's opener, but goals from Jamie Walker, Osman Sow and a Dale Carrick brace saw Hearts run out comfortable winners in the end.

Robbie Neilson was forced into making changes from the side that drew away to Dumbarton a week previously; Adam Eckersley started his first game in a maroon shirt after Kevin McHattie failed to recover from injury while Jamie Walker filled in for the crocked Sam Nicholson. Scott Robinson slotted into central midfield in the place of Jason Holt and Callum Paterson took the right-back slot - his first appearance since the opening game of the season.

A stuffy opening quarter of an hour ensued, but it was bang on 15 minutes that Hearts took the lead. Danny Wilson's pinpoint pass found King inside the area and he took one touch before slamming the ball high into the back of the net, leaving Robbie Thomson in the Cowdenbeath goal with no chance.

Five minutes later it was honours even. Kudas Oyengua sprung the offside trap to force a save out of Neil Alexander but Gallagher was on-hand to drill the rebound home.

The Jambos responded immediately and almost took the lead again. Osman Sow held off his man at the edge of the box to spin and curl an effort goal-ward but Thomson pounced to his right to tip the ball around the post.

The game then became stop start with a series of niggly fouls and misplaced passes, as neither side seriously troubled the other's goal. 

Hearts started the second-half brightly and Thomson was on-hand again to deny Sow. The big striker played a one-two with King at the edge of the box, but his placed shot was well stopped by the Cowdenbeath 'keeper.

Seconds later it was 2-1 Hearts. Eckersley's cross from the left was met by Walker and his header looped across the face of goal and into the back of the net.

Left-back Eckersley's crosses were proving troublesome for the visitors. He was afforded enough space to float in a ball to the back door but Paterson's half-volley was rifled wide of the target.

The Jam Tarts were awarded a penalty in the 55th minute when Walker was bundled over at the goal-line, and Sow stepped up to place the ball beyond Thomson, who had guessed the right direction.

The second-half performance saw Hearts get back to their best; decisive passing and excellent movement. Substitute Soufian El Hassnaoui weighted a delightful 69th minute ball into the path of Sow but he blasted wildly over the bar from only seven yards out.

With ten minutes remaining, Hearts made sure of all-three points with a fourth. Sow brilliantly retained possession outside the Cowdenbeath box before teeing-up substitute Carrick, who drilled low from 18 yards into the bottom corner of the net.

Carrick almost grabbed his second with a spectacular long-range effort, but his curling shot crashed off the underside of the bar.

In the 86th minute however, Carrick tried his luck in similar fashion and this time rocketed his shot into the top corner, leaving Thomson completely rooted to the spot. 5-1 Hearts for the first time since May 19, 2012.

Another impressive victory for Robbie's boys as they continue to blaze a trail at the top of the Championship. 

Hearts: Alexander, Paterson, Wilson, Ozturk, Gomis (Holt, 88'), Walker, Robinson, King (Carrick, 72'), Keatings (El Hassnaoui, 67'), Sow, Eckersley. Subs: Hamilton, McKay, Beith, McGhee.

Cowdenbeath: Thomson, Campbell (Johnston, 62'), Armstrong, Wedderburn (Brownlie, 25'), Robertson, Higgins, Gallagher, Brett, Oyenuga (Jurisic, 79'), Fraser, Hughes. Subs: Flynn, O' Brien, Miller, Kane.

Referee: Craig Charleston

Top man: Jamie Walker