Match Reports

Hearts 2-4 Partick Thistle

7th May 2014

Jambos sunk 4-2 by visiting Partick Thistle in action-packed game at Tynecastle.

Heart of Midlothian 2-4 Partick Thistle
(Paterson 15' Wilson 40' - Taylor 30' Fraser 51' Mair 67' Higginbotham 72')
From Hearts Media at Tynecastle.

Hearts lost 4-2 to Partick Thistle on Wednesday evening in the final Scottish Premiership game of the season at Tynecastle.

Despite twice taking the lead, through Callum Paterson and Danny Wilson, the Firhill side rallied and knocked in four goals, courtesy of Lyle Taylor, Gary Fraser, Lee Mair and Kallum Higginbotham.

The Jambos took to the field with two changes to the side that thumped Kilmarnock 5-0 three days previously; Mark Ridgers replaced Jamie MacDonald in goals while Jamie Hamill came in for the injured Ryan Stevenson.

Ridgers was called into action after a quarter of an hour when he got down to his left to save from Higginbotham's 25-yard half-volley.

Hearts were having joy attacking the flanks, and moments later the rampaging Paterson ran the length of the half before cutting inside and rattling a shot beyond Paul Gallacher from the edge of the box and into the corner of the net.

Billy King should've doubled the Jambos' lead three minutes after he sprung the offside trap to get on the end of Dale Carrick's defence-splitting pass, but the No. 19 ballooned his effort over the bar when he was one-on-one with Gallacher inside the box.

The visitors began to play their way back into the game and got on level terms on the half-hour mark. Taylor latched onto a long-ball forward and remained calm under pressure from Danny Wilson to slot the ball under the advancing Ridgers from just inside the box.

It didn't remain all-square for long as Hearts got their noses back in front before half-time. Kevin McHattie's pinpoint free-kick found Wilson at the back door, and the skipper steered his header into the far corner of the net. 

Partick equalised for the second time only six minutes after the restart. Gary Fraser picked up a loose ball 30 yards out and thumped it into the top corner, leaving the diving Ridgers with no chance.

The game continued to thrive at an end-to-end pace. McHattie's 59th minute free-kick flew just past Gallacher's left-hand post while a minute later Ridgers had to look smart to tip Taylor's close range volley over the crossbar.

On 67 minutes the visitors took the lead for the first time in the game. Hearts failed to clear their lines from a corner and Mair stooped to head low into the net from six yards out.

Five minutes later it was 4-2. Taylor evaded the offside trap and thundered a shot on goal, and although Ridgers made a great block, Higginbotham followed up with the rebound and smashed the ball home from deep inside the box.

With that came an end to Hearts' remarkable run of five wins from six and Partick Thistle consolidated their place in the Premiership. 

Hearts: Ridgers: Paterson (McKay, 87'_, McGowan, Wilson, McHattie; King (Walker, 66'), Hamil, Robinson (Smith, 66'), Nicholson; Holt; Carrick. Subs: MacDonald, McGhee, Beith, Oliver.

Partick Thistle: Gallacher, Taylor-Sinclair, Balatoni, Craigen, Bannigan (Erskine, 63'), Taylor (Doolan, 78'), Fraser, Mair, McMillan, Higginbotham (Piccolo, 83'), Elliott. Subs: Fox, Lawless, David Wilson, Moncour.

Referee: Crawford Allan

Top man: Callum Paterson