Match Reports

Hearts 2-2 Hibs

7th February 2016

Honours even in Scottish Cup tie at Tynecastle.


Hearts and Hibs played out a 2-2 draw in Sunday’s William Hill Scottish Cup tie at Tynecastle.

Arnaud Djoum and Sam Nicholson had given the Jambos a two-goal cushion, but Hibs fired back through Jason Cummings and Paul Hanlon struck at the death to take the match to a replay.

Robbie Neilson made three changes from the side that drew 0-0 at Hamilton Accies two weeks ago. Jordan McGhee replaced the suspended Igor Rossi, Sam Nicholson returned for Billy King while new boy Abiola Dauda slotted in for Osman Sow.

Hearts started brightly but it was the visitors who were first to have a pop, John McGinn turning at the edge of the box and curling low towards the bottom corner but Neil Alexander flung himself across his line to touch the ball around the post.

Prince Buaben was an early casualty, limping off after only nine minutes, which meant a Hearts debut for Don Cowie.

Hibs went close again after 20 minutes when Anthony Stokes got on the end of a corner, but he nodded over the bar under some intense pressure from Djoum.

Though Hearts hadn’t threatened the Hibs goal in the opening half hour, the deadlock was broken in spectacular style in the 32nd minute, courtesy of Djoum. Callum Paterson’s cross into the box was cleared but only as far as the Belgian, and from outside the box he took a touch and slammed an unstoppable shot beyond Mark Oxley and into the corner of the net.

With two minutes to go until half time, the Jambos doubled their lead. Paterson’s swinging cross into the box found Nicholson unmarked, and he killed the ball dead with his chest before firing low and past the despairing Oxley, into the bottom corner.

Hearts lost a second player to injury five minutes into the restart with Alim Ozturk forced off, he was replaced by Juwon Oshaniwa.

Alexander was on his toes to deny Niklas Gunnarsson’s header, then McGhee stood up well to block Liam Henderson’s shot in front of the line.

Hibs continued to search for a goal and passed up another good opportunity after 68 minutes. Henderson’s deep cross found Stokes at the back door, but he lashed wildly and missed the target.

The Jambos were caught sleeping with 11 minutes left when Hibs pulled one back. Henderson’s cross into the box found Cummings, who looped a header over Alexander and into the net.

Moments later Alexander stood firm to save from Stevenson, who was allowed to weave his way into the home box before pulling the trigger.

That set up a nervy final few minutes as Hibs continued to pile forward in search of an equaliser, but  it was Hearts who almost out the game to bed in the final minute when Dauda flashed a header just wide from Paterson’s cross.

Disaster struck on 90 minutes, however, when Hibs got their second goal. Alexander pulled off a stunning point blank save but Hanlon got their first with the follow up and stabbed home to restore parity.

In the dying moments Gunnarsson hit his own crossbar before Augustyn’s header was cleared off the line, but that was all she wrote and the tie goes to a replay.

Hearts: Alexander, Paterson, Ozturk (Oshaniwa, 50'), Augustyn, McGhee, Nicholson, Djoum (Walker, 82'), Pallardo, Buaben (Cowie, 9'), Reilly, Dauda. Subs: Hamilton, Souttar, Zanatta, Juanma.

Hibs: Oxley, Gray (Gunnarsson, 53'), Henderson, Hanlon, Bartley, McGeouch (Thomson, 30'), Stevenson, McGinn, McGregor, Stokes, Cummings. Subs: Virtanen, Fontaine, Boyle, Keatings, Dagnall.

Referee: Carig Thomson

Top Man: Sam Nicholson