Match Reports

Hearts 2-0 Hibs

30th March 2014

Jambos rack up another derby win with 2-0 Tynecastle victory over Hibs.

Heart of Midlothian 2-0 Hibs
 (Carrick 6' King 90')
From Hearts Media at Tynecastle.

It was billed as a party, but Hearts were the ones celebrating as the Jambos beat Hibs 2-0 to win another Edinburgh derby.

Goals in either half from Dale Carrick and Billy King ensured that it would be the citizens of Gorgie who could hold their heads high in Edinburgh, yet again.

Gary Locke made one change to the side that was beaten last Friday against Dundee Utd. Jason Holt returned to the starting line-up in the place of Scott Robinson, who moved to the bench.

The game kicked-off with an electric atmosphere and it took only six minutes for Tynecastle to completely erupt. Callum Paterson carried the ball down the right channel and swung in an inviting cross for Ryan Stevenson to head down into the path of Carrick, and he held off his man to stab past Ben Williams from deep inside the box.

First blood to Hearts.

The Jambos continued to press, with Ryan Stevenson proving a handful for the visitors. In the 10th minute he bulldozed his way into the Hibs box and, although his cut-back for Sam Nicholson didn't fall cleanly, David Smith pounced to curl an effort on target from the edge of the box, but Williams stood strong to make the save.

Stevenson continued to link-up well with the front three and went close with a snapshot from 18 yards after the half hour mark, but he couldn't connect cleanly enough with Carrick's lay-off to hit the target.

The visitors could've got back on level terms just before the 40th minute but passed up a glorious opportunity. Duncan Watmore showed great skill to wrong-foot Kevin McHattie on the bye-line and pull the ball back for the waiting James Collins, but the Hibs striker skied his effort from the edge of the box.

Hearts threatened again before half time when Ryan Stevenson tore down the left flank and moved the ball inside to Carrick at the edge of the box, but his quick turn and dig sailed over the crossbar.

It took a spectacular save a minute later to keep the game at 1-0. Nicholson hit a thunderbolt effort from all of 35 yards but Williams somehow managed to spring to his left and palm the ball to safety.

The second half continued at the same frantic pace that was displayed it the first. David Smith was inches away from doubling Hearts lead after 51 minutes. Carrick slipped in the winger with a delightfully weighted pass but Smith fired across Williams' goal from an acute angle.

In an almost carbon copy effort, Smith went close again. He was played out wide by Ryan Stevenson in the 63rd minute before shooting low across goal from outside of the box, but again the ball fell inches wide of Williams' right-hand post.

To their credit, Hibs edged their way back into the game and began to see more of the ball. Jamie MacDonald had be alert to smother a Collins shot from inside the box, though a deflection from Jamie Hamill helped take the sting out of the ball. Moments earlier, Ryan McGivern connected with Sam Stanton's corner but he could only head wide.

At times it looked like Hearts were under the cosh but the men in maroon stood firm and defended resolutely. The game exploded back into life when Alan Maybury received his marching orders following a foul on Billy King.

It was King who would have another major say on the match's outcome with a goal in injury time. He was played through the middle and with acres of space rounded Williams and slotted home into the Gorgie Road end.

Full time and, despite the campaign's struggles, Hearts record their third derby win of the season. 

Hearts: MacDonald; Paterson, McGowan, Wilson, McHattie; Hamill, Holt (Robinson, 86'), R. Stevenson; Smith (McCallum, 76'), Carrick (King, 82'), Nicholson. Subs: Ridgers, McGhee, McKay, Walker.

Hibs: Williams, McGivern, Nelson, Collins, L. Stevenson, Maybury, Handling (Cairney, 84'), Taiwo (Thomson, 69'), Watmore (Harris, 67'), Forster, Stanton. Subs: Murdoch, Craig, Boateng, Heffernan.

Referee: Steven McLean

Top man: Danny Wilson