Match Reports

Hearts 1-2 Hibs

12th May 2013

Jambos slump to 2-1 home defeat against city rivals Hibs.

Heart of Midlothian 1-2 Hibs
From Hearts Media at Tynecastle.

Hearts slumped to a disappointing defeat in the final Edinburgh Derby of the season, as Hibs came from behind to win the match.

Darren Barr had given the Jambos the lead on the stroke of half time, before a stunner from Leigh Griffiths and an injury time winner from Ross Caldwell consigned the home side to defeat.

Gary Locke made two changes to the side that had defeated St Mirren in style last weekend, with Andrew Webster and Michael Ngoo returning in place of Dylan McGowan and Dale Carrick.

The game started in harem-scarem style, with neither side managing to stamp their authority on the match. Hearts were first to threaten, as Benn Williams spilled a corner and Darren Barr headed towards goal. His effort was blocked on the line, as was Michael Ngoo's rebound. Had either player gotten a full purchase on the ball, it surely would have resulted in a goal.

Hibs were next to get an effort on goal, as Alex Harris caused mayhem in the penalty area resulting in a fierce near post shot being well saved by Jamie Macdonald in goal.

Hibs were beginning to exert their authority on the match, and Ross Caldwell was next to threaten. The striker cut in from the left hand side, and although his effort was diluted by a deflection, his effort still had to be saved.

As the half drew to a close, Hearts began to press further. Firstly, Jamie Walker cut in from the left but his shot was wild and he failed to repeat the trick from last week's match, before Hearts took the lead.

Kevin McHattie's corner wasn't dealt with, and Michael Ngoo's header was saved on the line. Darren Barr managed to hook the ball in to send the home supporters wild on the stroke of half time.

After the interval, Hibs came out determined. Leigh Griffiths was fouled 30 yards from goal, and he took the free kick himself. Griffiths sent a sensational effort soaring into the top corner amidst flares and smoke bombs flying onto the pitch.

Immediately after, the away side should have taken the lead. Harris beat McHattie on the right and rifled the ball across the face of goal, but somehow it was deflected for a corner.

A shellshocked Hearts tried to fight their way back into the game, but the best they could muster was a volley from Walker which rolled harmlessly wide. Despite the substitutions with David Smith and Dale Carrick coming on, Hibs won the game in stoppage time.

Jamie Hamill's clearance was deflected past David Smith, and Scott Robertson collected the ball in the penalty area. The Hibs midfielder was taken out by Webster and, had there been no advantage, a penalty would have been awarded. The ball broke to Ross Caldwell who chipped a terrific finish into the top corner to secure three points for his team.

Hearts: Macdonald; Hamill, Webster, Barr, McHattie; Holt (G.Smith 90), Stevenson, Taouil (D.Smith 79), Walker; Sutton, Ngoo (Carrick 73). Subs not used: Ridgers, McGowan, B. King, McKay.

Hibs: Williams; Maybury, Forster, Hanlon, Stevenson; Harris, Taiwo, Claros, Thomson (Robertson 80); Caldwell, Griffiths Subs not used: Murdoch, Deegan, Doyle, Wotherspoon, Handing, Robertson, Donaldson.

Referee: Steven McLean

Top man: Darren Barr