Match Reports

Hearts 1-1 Dundee

21st November 2015

Men from Dens hold the Jambos at home.



Hearts were held to a 1-1 draw by Dundee on Saturday.

It was a game of two halves as Arnaud Djoum’s opener was cancelled out by Rory Loy’s second-half strike.

Robbie Neilson made three changes from the side that beat Hamilton Accies 2-0 before the international break; Juwon Oshaniwa replaced Jordan McGhee, Miguel Pallardo came in for Morgaro Gomis while Billy King slotted in for the suspended Juanma.

The Jambos were first to get a shot on goal after five minutes. Sam Nicholson burst forward and danced through the middle of the park before slipping in Osman Sow, but his low angled shot was held by Scott Bain at his near post.

Hearts dominated the opening stages and made the breakthrough after 23 minutes, courtesy of a brilliant move. King knocked inside to Prince Buaben, who played out to the right flank for Callum Paterson to swing in a marvelous cross and Djoum connected with a bullet header, sending the ball flying into the bottom right corner of the net.

Djoum nearly made it two only five minutes later. Oshaniwa’s surging run found Osman Sow at the edge of the box and he fed Djoum ten yards out. The Belgian’s turn and shot deflected off a Dundee player and was looping towards the line, but Bain made a fantastic diving save to tip the ball over the bar.

Sow rifled a set piece on target after being teed up by Buaben, but Bain made a comfortable save as the game failed to maintain its frenetic opening pace, and the teams went in at half time with the Jambos carrying a 1-0 lead.

The start of the second half was a scrappy affair, with neither team making any serious headway into the other’s half. That was until James McPake fouled Djoum inside the Dundee half, and Nicholson’s brilliant curling free-kick forced Bain to tip over the bar.

Neil Alexander was called into action after 64 minutes, holding Greg Stewart’s free-kick after Igor Rossi fouled his man on the edge of the box.

The visitors got back on level terms three minutes later. Stewart’s through ball saw Loy spring the offside trap, he darted goalward and curled a sublime effort beyond Alexander and into the opposite corner of the net.

Dundee were buoyed by their goal and began to threaten much more. A free-kick on the edge of the box saw Kane Hemmings drill inches wide, while Paterson went straight up the other end and stung Bain’s hands with a long-range effort.

A frustrating second 45 minutes for the Jambos, who remain second in the Ladbrokes Premiership.

Hearts: Alexander, Paterson, Augustyn, Buaben (Reilly, 65'), Sow, Nicholson, King (Gomis, 34'), Pallardo, Djoum (Swanson, 84'), Rossi, Oshaniwa. Subs: Hamilton, McGhee, L. Smith, Zanatta.

Dundee: Bain, Holt, McPake (Konrad, 70'), Stewart, Loy, Thomson, Hemmings, Extabeguren (Gadzhalov, 81'), Ross, McGowan, McGinn. Subs: Gourlay, Irvine, Low, Cakder, Harkins.

Referee: Kevin Clancy

Top man: Arnaud Djoum