Match Reports

Hearts 1-0 Hibs

11th August 2013

Callum Paterson goal gives Jambos bragging rights as Hearts beat Hibs 1-0 at Tynecastle.

Heart of Midlothian 1-0 Hibs
(Paterson 70')
From Hearts Media at Tynecastle.

Heart of Midlothian were victorious in Sunday afternoon's Edinburgh derby at Tynecastle.

A second half Callum Paterson goal was enough to see off Hibs, with the Jambos dictating play for long spells in what was at times a scrappy game.

The manager made two changes from the side that lost at St Johnstone last Saturday. Jamie Walker and Callum Tapping made way for Jason Holt and David Smith as Hearts went 4-4-2.

The Jambos suffered an early setback when Ryan Stevenson was substituted with a hamstring injury on twelve minutes, Walker replaced the wide man.

It was the visitors who pulled off the first attempt on target after 33 minutes. A slack Danny Wilson header landed at the feet of James Collins, who fed Vine from the edge of the box but the Hibs no. 9 could only drill low into the arms of Macdonald.

Hearts responded with an effort of their own three minutes later. Smith was fouled on the edge of the box by Scott Robertson and Jamie Hamill's resultant free kick powered past the Hibs wall, but Ben Williams got down to gather without too much trouble.

Liam Craig was next to hit the target for the away side with a free kick of his own. Like those before him however, it struggled to trouble the goalkeeper.

A lovely exchange between Hamill and Holt on 40 minutes saw the dogged midfielder shoot from 35 yards, but the ball bounced in front of Williams and killed any real power the shot had as it nestled into the 'keeper's arms.

Collins came close after the restart, his angled shot from inside the box had Macdonald scrambling across his goal but the ball spun away from both 'keeper and goal.

With 52 minutes gone Hamill tried his luck from 30 yards with a looping effort that forced Williams to pluck the ball from the air just in front of his goalline.

Hibs should've broken the deadlock after 65 minutes. With the Hearts defence stretched Liam Craig sent over an inviting ball to the unmarked Tom Taiwo in the box, but the midfielder stretched for it and sent his first time shot wildly over the bar.

On 70 minutes Tynecastle erupted. McGowan fired in a wonderful cross from the Wheatfield touchline which was met by Paterson in the six yard box. The resultant bullet header flew past the diving Williams and into the back of the net. A goal that, on balance of play, the men in maroon deserved.

The visitors piled forward in an effort to grab the equaliser but the home defence stood firm to win the first Edinburgh derby of the season. A massive win for Gary Locke and his boys as the Jambos make the first dent into the 15 point penalty.

Hearts: Macdonald; McGowan, McKay, Wilson, McHattie; Smith (B. King, 80'), Hamill, Robinson, Stevenson (Walker, 12'); Holt; Paterson. Subs not used: Ridgers, McGhee, Tapping, Nicholson, Carrick.

Hibs: Williams, Hanlon, Nelson, Robertson (Taiwo, 61'), Vine, Craig, Collins, Stevenson, Tudor-Jones (Stanton, 75'), Mullen (McGivern, 46), Thomson. Subs not used: Murdoch, Handling, Forster, Caldwell.

Referee: Craig Thomson

Top man: Danny Wilson