Match Reports

Hearts 0-2 St Mirren

5th October 2013

Jambos go down 2-0 at home to St Mirren on Saturday afternoon.

Heart of Midlothian 0-2 St Mirren
(Newton 41' P. McGowan 57')
From Hearts Media at Tynecastle.

Hearts succumbed to a 2-0 defeat against St Mirren at Tynecastle on Saturday.

Goals in either half from John McGinn and Paul McGowan were enough to see off a lacklustre Hearts side.

The Jambos made only one change to the side that drew with Dundee United last weekend as Ryan Stevenson came in to lead the line, which meant David Smith moved to the bench.

Hearts survived an early scare after only three minutes when a slack Dylan McGowan passback was nearly intercepted by Steven Thompson, but Jamie MacDonald was quick enough on his toes to steer the ball away from the Buddies striker.

A minute later Danny Wilson met a Kevin McHattie corner but his header was magnificently palmed over the bar by Christopher Dilo.

In the 12th minute Callum Paterson ran through the heart of the St Mirren defence and unleashed a powerful shot on target, though Dilo got down to block he couldn't hold on and the ball was punted clear by Jim Goodwin.

Scott Robinson produced a lung-bursting run in the 23rd minute to carry the ball 60 yards up the pitch before finding Stevenson on the right, but he dragged his shot wide of Dilo's right hand post.

Stevenson was proving adept at shooting from distance and just after the half hour mark he rattled the side netting from 30 yards after being fed by Jamie Walker.

St Mirren weren't slacking at the other end however and they could've taken the lead on 35 minutes when Paul McGowan received the ball on the edge of the Hearts box and rifled a shot goalwards, though thankfully the shot continued to rise and flew over the crossbar.

Five minutes later Kenny McLean curled a free kick around the Hearts wall but MacDonald was on hand to beat the ball away.

The Jambos immediately went up the park and threatened as a Stevenson ball across the face of goal eventually fell to Paterson on 18 yards, though he snatched at the chance and blazed his effort over the bar.

Disaster then struck when the visitors took the lead just before half time. Conor Newton whipped a ball into the box and John McGinn met it unmarked at the back post to bullet his header beyond MacDonald and into the back of the net.

Billy King replaced Scott Robinson at half time as the Jambos looked for the equaliser, though play was focused in the middle of the park with neither team disturbing each other's goal.

That was until the 56th minute when Ryan Stevenson escaped from his man and cut inside from the goalline to lay it on a plate for Paterson, but he overstretched and fell backwards when pulling the trigger which sent the ball ballooning over the bar.

From that move St Mirren went up the park and grabbed their second goal of the game. A cross ball was spilled by MacDonald in the six yard box and Paul McGowan rolled home to double Saints' advantage.

The Hearts no. 1 didn't let his head go down however as he pulled off a spectacular diving save to deny McLean at the back door in the 62nd minute.

Callum Tapping and Dale Carrick were introduced to the game as the Jambos tried desperately to get a foot back in the door. They almost got it on 77 minutes but a Walker free kick was deflected agonisingly wide.

Hearts kept pressing forward and Kevin McHattie tried his luck on a few occasions, the closest he went was with five minutes to go when he sidestepped his man and lashed a shot at goal however Dilo pounced to his right to comfortably save.

St Mirren restricted the Jambos to long range efforts as they saw out the match and left Gorgie with all three points.

Hearts: MacDonald; McGhee, McGowan (Tapping, 65'), Wilson, McHattie; Robinson (B. King, 46'), Holt, Hamill; Stevenson (Carrick, 75'), Paterson, Walker. Subs not used: Ridgers, McKay, Smith, Oliver. 

St Mirren: Dilo, McGregor, Goodwin (Teale, 82'), P. McGowan, Thompson, Newton, Van Zanten, McGinn, Mair, McLean, Kelly. Subs not used: Cornell, Naismith, Bahoken, Grainger, Caprice, Harkins.

Referee: Craig Thomson

Top man: Jamie Walker