Match Reports

Hearts 0-2 Inverness CT

14th December 2013

Young Jambos fall short at home to Inverness CT.

Heart of Midlothian 0-2 Inverness CT
(McKay 58' & 83')
From Hearts Media at Tynecastle.

Hearts lost 2-0 to Inverness Caledonian Thistle on a miserable Saturday afternoon at Tynecastle.

Second half strikes from Billy McKay ensured that the points went back north with the highlanders in a match played out in difficult circumstances.

The Jambos fielded one of their youngest ever sides as Gary Oliver and Sam Nicholson made their first league starts.

A ferocious wind and downpour severely limited both teams' ability to play any kind of attractive football. Efforts on goal were non existent in the opening half hour, as the ball players tried in vain to drive towards each other's penalty area.

The first shot on target came in the 34th minute and it was the visitors who threatened. An in-swinging ball into the box was met by Marley Watkins at the back door, but his shot lacked any real power and was subsequently blocked by the incoming Jamie MacDonald.

Hearts were awarded a free kick after 43 minutes which saw Kevin McHattie hit the wall, and Jamie Hamill's follow-up was on target but straight into the 'keeper's arms as the Jambos began to stamp a little bit of authority onto the game.

The Gorgie boys had MacDonald to thank for keeping te score to 0-0 at half time, when moments before the whistle Aaron Doran powered a long distance shot goalwards, but the Hearts no. 1 sprung to tip the ball over the bar.

Second half substitute David Smith didn't have long to wait to make an impact. He cleverly curled a 20 yard free kick low and around the Caley wall, but his effort was the wrong side of Dean Brill's right hand post.

However it was Inverness CT who took the lead on 58 minutes. Billy McKay found himself with the ball inside the Hearts box, and he twisted then feigned his way into space before curling a wonderful shot beyond MacDonald and into the back of the net.

McKay almost made it two only four minutes later after springing the offside trap, but he dragged his shot wide of the target from an acute angle.

The visitors were playing with their tails up by this point, and had Graeme Shinnie's 64th minute curler not skimmed the crossbar on its way over, then Hearts would've found themselves two down

The woodwork played it's part again in saving Hearts fortunes when he met Watkins' cross at the penalty spot, but his first time volley rattled off of MacDonald's right hand post.

Some sublime skill from Callum Tapping inside the ICT box meant he almost hit the target on 76 minutes, but his right foot shot ended up wayward.

However Caley put the game beyond any doubt with seven minutes remaining, with Billy McKay grabbing his second of the game when he slammed the ball intot he roof of the net following a counter attack.

Hearts: MacDonald; Hamill, McGowan, Wilson, McHattie; Nicholson (B. King, 65'), Tapping, Robinson, Walker (Smith, 46'); Paterson, Oliver (Carrick, 70'). Subs: Hamilton, McKay, A.King, McGhee.

Inverness CT: Brill, Shinnie, Warren, Meekings, Billy McKay, Draper, Foran, Doran, Ross, Watkins, Tremarco. Subs: Esson, Raven, Devine, Greenhalgh, Williams, Polwarth, Egdestein.

Referee: Brian Colvin

Top man: Sam Nicholson