Match Reports

Hearts 0-0 Hibs

12th February 2017

Scottish Cup stalemate at Tynecastle.


Hearts and Hibs played out a stalemate at Tynecastle in this afternoon’s William Hill Scottish Cup fifth-round match.

Neither side could find the breakthrough in what was a game of little chances, meaning they’ll have to do it all over again on Wednesday 22nd at Easter Road.

Ian Cathro made one change to the side that ran riot at Motherwell a week previous; Sam Nicholson came in for Bjorn Johnsen, who moved to the bench.

Hearts got their first sight of goal only three minutes in. Malaury Martin sent Lennard Sowah clear down the left and he stabbed the ball forward to Isma, but Ofir Marciano came out on top in their one-v-one battle, making a good save with his chest before gathering at the second attempt.

The half was typical derby fare; high tempo, strong challenges but sadly, lacking in any goalmouth action.

Hibs passed up their best chance of the half one minute before the interval. James Keatings robbed Alex Tziolis and the ball ended up wide to Jason Cummings, who cut back for Grant Holt, but his shot was tame and Jack Hamilton was able to make the stop and collect the rebound.

Johnsen was introduced at the start of the second-half, with Martin remaining indoors, as Hearts went in search of the opening goal.

The big American had an instant impact, getting on the end of Isma’s chip into the box to prod the ball goalward but Marciano stuck a leg out to make the block, and Jamie Walker’s follow up was deflected over.

An incisive Hibs breakaway in the 77th minute saw Cummings evade Tasos Avolnitis and Aaron Hughes to send a teasing cross over to the back door, but Holt couldn’t get their in time, sliding to knock the ball wide.

That marked the last meaningful passage of play, and the two sides will meet again at Easter Road a week on Wednesday.

Hearts: Hamilton, Struna, Avlonitis, Hughes, Sowah, Tziolis, Martin (Johnsen, 46'), Cowie (Nowak, 78'), Walker, Nicholson (Djoum, 65'), Goncalves. Subs: Noring, Kitchen, Choulay, Currie.

Hibs: Marciano, Gray, Bartley, McGinn, Fyvie, Holt (Graham, 78'), Stevenson, Keatings, Forster (Fontaine, 54'), McGregor, Cummings. Subs: Laidlaw, McGeouch, Boyle, Shinnie, Humphrey.

Referee: Willie Collum

Top Man: Don Cowie