Match Reports

Hamilton Accies 3-3 Hearts

21st November 2016

Jambos level late to draw frantic encounter at SuperSeal Stadium.

Hearts and Hamilton Accies drew 3-3 after a frantic night of action at the SuperSeal Stadium.

After Hearts took the lead through Jamie Walker, Accies turned the game on its head with three goals from Ali Crawford and Rakish Bingham.

Hearts didn’t give up, though, and showed real character to tie the match through a Walker penalty and a superb finish from Callum Paterson.

Robbie Neilson made one change from the side that drew 2-2 with St Johnstone, as the suspended Igor Rossi was replaced in defence by Alim Ozturk.

The Jambos lined up in a 3-5-2 formation, with Callum Paterson playing at centre-half, with Liam Smith and Jamie Walker playing as wing-backs.

Hearts started brightly, with Tony Watt taking the ball the length of the park and firing a low deflected shot at Woods.

Bjorn Johnsen then bamboozled Grant Gillespie down the left, and his cross was headed out to Jamie Walker whose curled effort flew into the top corner.

Walker was soon on the attack again, collecting a loose pass and breaking upfield, but his shot went wide. Hamilton then came close as, after a mix-up, Rakish Bingham’s header was cleared off the line by John Souttar.

However, the hosts were soon level. Prince Buaben fouled Dougie Imrie 25 yards from goal, and Ali Crawford bent a free-kick over the wall and into the bottom corner.

Crawford was soon in the thick of it again, as Gramoz Kurtaj played the midfielder through on goal. His low shot was well saved by Jack Hamilton in a one-on-one situation.

Hearts were soon back on the front foot. Johnsen met a Don Cowie corner, but headed over, then one minute later, his diving header from a Buaben cross was  brilliantly saved by Gary Woods, while the rebound was met by Walker but his shot was cleared off the line.

Accies took the lead straight from kick-off as the second half began. Bingham somehow found himself through on goal, and beat Hamilton from close range as the Jambos were caught cold.

On the hour, Hearts should have levelled. Ozturk found himself in front of Woods 2 yards out, but his touch was heavy and the keeper smothered his shot out for a corner. 

After 67 minutes, Accies extended their lead. Bingham was played through on goal down the left, and from a tight angle he somehow beat Hamilton at his near post.

However, Hearts received a lifeline with 17 minutes remaining. Cowie was upended in the box, and Walker’s penalty slipped under Woods to reduce the arrears.

With 7 minutes left, Walker almost completed a hat-trick, as his curling effort from 25 yards crashed off the bar and out as Hearts chased the game.

In stunning fashion, Hearts equalised. Walker’s run down the line drew out the Hamilton defence, he played it inside to Kitchen whose through ball put Paterson in on goal. The Scotland star kept his cool to hammer it home and make it 3-3.

Despite a frenetic last few minutes, it finished honours even in Lanarkshire.

Hamilton Accies: Woods, Seaborne, Devlin, Gillespie, Imrie, Crawford, Kurtaj, Bingham, Mackinnon, Donati. Sarris. Subs: Thomson, Docherty, D'Acol, Redmond, Longridge, Brophy, Sowah. 

Hearts: Hamilton, Paterson, Ozturk, Souttar, L.Smith, Buaben, Kitchen, Cowie, Walker, Johnsen, Watt. Subs: Noring, Rherras, Nowak, Djoum, Muirhead, Sammon, Currie.

Referee: Steven MacLean

Top man: Jamie Walker