Club News

Garry Liddell

4th May 2015

Former striker played 29 competitive games for club.

It is with great sadness that we have to record the death of former Heart of Midlothian striker, Garry Liddell, who passed away on 29 April 2015, at the age of 60, at Strathcarron Hospice in Falkirk.

Garry was born on 27 August 1954 at Bannockburn, where his father was a coal miner. 

He became a noted centre-forward as a schoolboy and, although Garry trained with Hearts, he eventually left Dunipace Thistle juveniles to become an apprentice footballer with the all-conquering Leeds United. 

The livewire attacker earned a full professional contract in September 1971 and made his senior debut in April 1973. 

Unfortunately, Garry made only six appearances for Leeds United due to the international quality of the squad at Elland Road but nevertheless he gained huge experience at home and abroad.

Garry was finally able to fully demonstrate his attacking abilities after moving to Grimsby Town in March 1977 for a fee of £15,000.

The 5’10” striker went on to score 22 goals in 105 League games for the Mariners and helped them climb from the old Fourth Division to the Second Division, winning promotion in 1978-79 and the Third Division Championship in 1979-80.

His energy and alertness was a feature of the Grimsby Town attack and Garry’s record would have been even greater but for injuries, the Scottish striker suffering broken legs in both 1978 and 1979.  

Garry moved from Grimsby Town to Hearts in February 1981, but it was just too late to help the club avoid relegation from the Premier Division. 

Hearts then finished third in the First Division in 1981-82 and new manager Alex MacDonald decided to re-shape his squad. As a result, Garry joined the English Third Division side Doncaster Rovers in March 1982. He had scored six goals in 29 competitive appearances for Hearts with his full total being eight goals in 37 games.

Garry went on to score four goals in 39 competitive matches for Doncaster Rovers before being forced to retire at the end of season 1982-83 due to a bad neck injury. Garry subsequently worked for the Employment Tribunal Service in Leeds.  

Our thoughts are with his family at this sad time.