First Team

Dundee Utd 2-2 Hearts

21st March 2017

All square at Tannadice in Sean Dillon's Testimonial match.

Hearts played out a 2-2 draw with Dundee United in Sean Dillon's Testimonial match at Tannadice on Tuesday evening.

A crowd of 3,260 turned out to honour the long-serving United stalwart and they were treated to four goals as well as appearances from a range of former players.

A guard of honour was formed for Sean Dillon prior to kick-off as he received a standing ovation from the crowd. The man himself was unable to feature due to injury, but duly kicked off the match before immediately leaving the field of play.

John Robertson took charge of the Jambos for the opening 45 minutes and he named a starting eleven consiting entirely of current first team players. The substitues bench, however, featured names such as Neil McCann, Andy Webster, Liam Fox and Andy Kirk. 

The hosts included former players Christian Kalvenes, John Rankin and Noel Hunt in their first eleven but it was the boys in maroon who dominated first half proceedings. 

Malaury Martin and Moha Choulay both saw close range efforts go narrowly wide of the left post inside the first 10 minutes. Bjorn Johnsen then thought he had put Hearts ahead on the half-hour mark only to be denied by the linesman's flag for offside.

The towering striker turned provider shorlty after as he teed up Currie at the back post; the youngster guided the ball towards goal with his chest but a United player was on hand to hook it off the line. 

In the closing stages of the first half, United threatened through Logan Chalmers who rattled the crossbar before forcing a fine save from Viktor Noring with a looping header.

A raft of half-time changes saw the likes of Jon Daly, Mark Kerr, Lee Wilkie, Garry Kenneth and Barry Robson take to the field for the hosts. The latter immediately made his mark in bizarre fashion as he purposely fired a longe range shot past his own 'keeper to hand Hearts a 1-0 lead. 

Currie then doubled the Jambos' lead soon after as he cooly slotted the ball into the bottom right corner. Up the other end, Jon Daly set up Noel Hunt who poked a header over the line to pull United back into the game.

Hearts were making changes of their own at this point, with Webster, McCann, Kirk and Fox all featuring. Youngster Euan Henderson also made an appearance and showed some fine turns of pace down the left wing. In the latter stages, John Robertson - replaced in the dugout by Craig Levein at half-time - also pulled on the number 27 jersey and took to the field. 

With just seconds remaining, however, United drew level. With the ball in the box, Sean Dillon's six-year-old son bolted on to the park and was allowed to fire the ball beyond Noring - much to the delight of the crowd and both sets of players. It finished 2-2 on what was a memorable night for all involved.

Dundee Utd: Long, Murdoch, Donaldson, Kalvenes, Robson, Coote, Kuate, Rankin, Van Der Velden, Hunt, Moore. 

Hearts: Noring, L.Smith, Buaben, Avlonitis, Oshaniwa, Beith, Kitchen, Martin, Choulay, Currie, Johnsen. Subs: â€‹Hamilton, McCann, Robertson, Webster, Kirk, Fox, Henderson.