Match Reports

Dundee 1-0 Hearts

27th April 2013

Dundee win battle of Dens Park as deflected free-kick settles the game ten mins from time.

Dundee 1-0 Heart of Midlothian
From Hearts Media at Dens Park.

Ten-man Hearts fell to defeat at Dens Park after Ryan Conroy's deflected free-kick 10 minutes from time secured the three points for Dundee.

Gary Locke made one change from last week's win at Kilmarnock, with injury forcing Danny Wilson to sit this one out. Dylan McGowan replaced the Scotland international in defence, while Michael Ngoo passed a late fitness test to start up front.

The Jambos made most of the early running, with Jason Holt and Jamie Walker looking dangerous on the flanks. One passage of play from Holt saw the talented kid unceremoniously dumped on the edge of the 18 yard line. Jamie Hamill stepped up but failed to get a clean purchase on the ball, and his effort was well held by Steve Simonsen.

The game reached its turning point on 27 minutes. With Webster on a yellow card for a trip on John Baird, the defender then received his marching orders after an aerial challenge with Carl Finnigan.

Soon after, Dundee's Lewis Toshney shanked an effort over the bar as the home side tried to make the most of their numerical advantage.

Dundee came close after the restart. A corner was whipped in by Ryan Conroy and Brian Easton crashed a header off the crossbar with Jamie MacDonald beaten.

Hearts had struggled to get a foothold in the match, but some nice footwork from Holt played in substitute Dale Carrick and though Speedy's pace took him beyond the defence, his touch was heavy and his shot went wide.

Conroy threatened again shortly afterwards, the winger cutting in from the right and unleashing a rasper from long range that skimmed the post. He was not to be denied though and with 10 minutes remaining, he took his chance. Setting up fully 30 yards out, the substitute's driven free-kick took a massive deflection and deceived Macdonald in the Hearts goal.

Despite playing out the last eight minutes with 10 men after Nicky Riley saw red for violent conduct, the home side held on to their lead, leaving Hearts to look to the next match against St Mirren at Tynecastle.

Dundee: Simonsen; Lockwood (Conroy 46), Benedictus, Gallagher, Toshney; Easton, Davidson (Nish 61), McBride, McAlister; J. Baird (Riley 65), Finnigan. Subs not used: A.Baird, Kerr, Irvine, Barrowman.

Hearts: Macdonald; Hamill, McGowan, Webster, McHattie; Holt (King 82), Barr, Stevenson, Walker (Carrick 46); Ngoo (Taouil 30), Sutton. Subs not used: Ridgers, Tapping, D.Smith, McKay.

Referee: John Beaton

Top man: Kevin McHattie