Currie bags winner for Reserves

4th December 2018

Jamie Brandon made a return to action in this afternoon’s Reserve League victory over Dunfermline Athletic, thanks to Rory Currie's late winner.

The full-back played 45 minutes at New Central Park after missing the last ten months of the season through injury, with Andy Kirk’s side bagging a last-minute winner through Currie.

Played on a bitterly cold afternoon in Kelty, the hosts created a half-chance early on when Mark Durnan got on the end of a corner but couldn’t hit the target.

Up the other end, the ball broke free inside the Pars box, allowing Leeroy Makovora to slide in but Cammy Gill dived in to make a brave save.

Dunfermline were given the perfect opportunity to open the scoring after 11 minutes when Alex Petkov was judged to have hauled back Lewis Sawers at the edge of the box, but Kallum Higginbotham blasted his spot kick high over the bar.

Makovora was proving a handful for the Pars defence and on 23 minutes he did well to take down a ball into the box before creating space to shoot, but he curled around the post.

Tom Beadling dragged an effort wide from the edge of the box as neither side could get their noses in front heading into the break.

Dunfermline’s Lewis McCann saw yellow in the 53rd minute for a late challenge on Chris Hamilton, then four minutes later Hearts were awarded a penalty of their own after Petkov was bundled over inside the box at a corner.

Danny Amankwaa stepped up but didn’t put his low spot kick far enough into the corner, allowing Gill to make a one-handed stop.

Moments later the ball was played into Euan Henderson inside the Dunfermline box but his shot was tame and saved by Gill.

The Jambos went close just after the hour. Hamilton headed back into the box for Makovora to get a flick on but Gill saved on his line.


Kevin Silva was rarely troubled but he was called into action on 68 minutes when Sawers played Higginbotham in but his drive from 18-yards was well held by the keeper.

Three minutes later the hosts were reduced to ten men. McCann went in late on Petkov after he cleared the ball and referee Jordan Curran flashed a second yellow then a red.

The woodwork denied Hearts an opener with four minutes remaining. Connor Smith let the ball run across him before slamming an effort from 25-yards which sailed over Gill’s head but back off the crossbar.

The breakthrough finally came in the last minute. Amankwaa broke down the right before sending a ball across the face of goal and substitute Currie got to it first, steering home from close range to give Hearts a 1-0 and all three points.

Dunfermline: Gill, Robertson, Martin, Morrison, Durnan (Jordan, 45'), Allan, Higginbotham (Crosbie, 89'), Beadling (Todd, 65'), McCann, Sawers, Luke (Brown, 77'). Subs: Swanson, Burt.

Hearts: Silva, Brandon (McGill, 46'), Hickey, Logan, Hamilton, Petkov, C. Smith, Ritchie (Currie, 78'), Makovora, Henderson (Moore, 65'), Amankwaa. Subs: Mason, Leddie.