The British Embassy in Tallinn has issued the following travel advice for Heart of Midlothian fans travelling to Tallinn for the FC Infonet v Heart of Midlothian match on 6th of July.
Passports and visas
- You don’t need a visa to travel to Estonia, but your passport should be valid for the duration of your stay in Estonia; make sure next of kin details are kept up to date
- Remember your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) but also take out travel insurance, even if you're only going for one night - it could save you a lot of money if you get into difficulties
- You can apply for an emergency travel document (ETD) if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel. If you’re due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible. You’ll need to supply a photo (in colour) and a printed flight reservation (or emailed copy to Tallinnconsular.firstname.lastname@example.org). There is a fee involved payable by cash in Euros or Visa/MasterCard Credit Cards. Note: fees may be affected by exchange rates
Getting to the stadium
- If you are walking from the city centre, please follow Pärnu street until you reach the viaduct. Then keep right and cross the railroad pedestrian crossing. By now you should already see the stadium. For the location on a map please see here
- Taxis are widely available and reasonably priced. Make sure there is a visible meter and that it is being used. It is better to phone a major taxi company such as Tulika Takso (telephone: +372 6120000), Tallink Takso (telephone: +372 640 8921), rather than hail one from the street. These companies are usually able to tell you the type, number and colour of the car in advance. Do not use taxis that are unmarked; they are illegal, unsafe and usually cost a lot more than registered taxis
- Since January 2013 a plastic smartcard and e-ticket system has been used in Tallinn public transport. Information on buying and using smartcards can be found on the Tallinn Tourism website. Closest tram stop to the stadium is “Vineeri” for trams nr 3 and nr 4. Closest bus stop is “Kotka” for bus nr 23 and “Tallinn-Väike” for busses nr 5, 18, 20, 20A, 28, 32 and 36. You may use the Tallinn Journey Planner to plan how to best get from your location to the stadium
At the match
- Heart of Midlothian fans will be seated in the North tribune and should enter through gate nr 7. Wheelchair access to the stadium can be arranged, but should be agreed previously with organisers.
- There will be ticket checks and body searches at the entrance to the gates.
- No bottles and cans are allowed to be brought into the ground and alcohol is banned within the stadium.
- Smoking is only allowed in designated areas.
- As in any other city beware of pickpockets and bag snatchers at airports, railway stations, around the town centre and when using public transport - only carry what you need and leave spare cash and valuables in hotel safety deposits.
- Alcoholic beverages are sold in shops from 10AM to 10PM. Drinking alcohol (incl. beer) in public is not allowed except in open-air cafeterias and in public events in closed areas. It is prohibited to buy or pass alcoholic beverage on to a minor (under 18yrs of age).
- Estonian law doesn’t make difference in „soft“ or „hard“ drugs, possession or consumption of any kind of illegal drugs is punished the same way. Possession or selling significant amount of illegal drugs (more than 10 doses) is a first-degree crime, the penalty is jail.
Contact the British Embassy In Tallinn
Telephone: +372 667 4700 (also for out of hours emergencies)
Embassy Office hours: Monday to Thursday 9.00 am to 17.00 pm and Friday 9.00 am to 2pm (visits by appointment only)
For more information please visit British Embassy Tallinn website
Emergency services numbers
If you need emergency medical assistance during your trip, dial 112 and ask for an ambulance. If you are referred to a medical facility for treatment you should contact your insurance/medical assistance company immediately.