Waterford 3-1 Heart of Midlothian

Friday 6th September 2019, KO 19:45 | Challenge Cup | Waterford Regional Sports Centre

Match Report

The Colts’ run in the Tunnock’s Caramel Wafer Challenge Cup would come to a sticky end in the south of Ireland after a disappointing 3-1 loss against Waterford.

The Jambos travelled to Ireland without Anthony McDonald, who was not risked after picking up a back injury. They travelled to the stadium without Leeroy Makavora, who fell ill at the team hotel.
It was stodgy start against a young Waterford side, who left many first team players out due to their FAI Cup quarter-final against Dundalk on Monday.
They had the first real chance, when JJ Lunney powered down the left and crossed. The ball dropped to Cory Galvin, who hit on the half-volley, but it was well saved by Kelby Mason.
They found their goal just before the half-hour mark. Galvin turned provider, sending in a teasing cross that was powered home by the head of Karolis Chvedukas.
As half-time approached, the Jambos pushed for an equaliser. Firstly, Paul Martin was on hand to deny a close-range Keena effort before he turned a Connor Smith stab just round the post.
Into the second-half and the Jambos missed a good chance. Aidan Keena was proving troublesome for the defence again, collecting a cross before turning onto his right and smacking the post.
Waterford hit back strongly. Chedukas set up Will Fitzgerald, who fired just wide, before Colm Whelan hit two efforts straight at Mason.
Whelan could have doubled the lead, had he looked sharper in front of goal. Waterford sub Regix Madika twisted and turned past Cammy Logan before squaring – only for the ball to bounce off Whelan and trundle harmlessly to Mason.
Hearts got the equaliser in the 72nd minute – from an unlikely source. Morrison danced past his man on the right before a low cross fell to the back-post, where Leo Watson rifled across the keeper and into the net.
However, parity would not last for long. Receiving it on the left, sub Alex Phelan cut past Chris Hamilton and drove a powerful effort past Mason at the front post.
The hosts extended their lead just a few minutes later. Madika picked up on the left hand side and crossed, only for Chris Hamilton to divert it past his own keeper into the net.
Waterford: Martin; Power, Murphy, Slevin, O’Keeffe; Galvin (Beresford, 79’), Holland ©, Lunney (Phelan, 46’), Chvedukas; Fitzgerald (Madika, 61’), Whelan.
Subs: Heffernan (GK), Masood, Griffin.
Hearts: Mason; Logan, Hamilton ©, Baur; Sandison (Henderson, 46’), Ritchie (McGill, 80’), Cochrane, Watson; Morrison, Keena, C. Smith
Subs: Stone (GK), Darge, Charleston-King, Ward, Nwanze.
Referee: Paul Howard

(Some of our reserve players are still available to sponsor this season - please click here!)