Heart of Midlothian 1-1 Hibernian

Tuesday 22nd October 2019, KO 14:00 | Reserve Cup | Meggetland Stadium

Match Report

A turgid Edinburgh derby was won on penalties by Hearts, meaning they picked up two points in the Group Stage of the SPFL Reserve Cup.

Scrappy football, tough challenges and plenty of yellow cards. It may have been a Reserve Cup game, but it was still an Edinburgh derby.
Hearts started brightly, with the returning Craig Wighton linking well with Lewis Moore on the left. The ball dropped back to Wighton, but he flashed his shot across the face of goal.
However, it wouldn’t take Hearts much longer to take the lead. Cammy Logan burst down the right and clipped the ball to the back-post. It took a deflection, looped into the air and Lewis Moore volleyed home from close range.
The visitors responded strongly, but they could find no way past Bobby Zlamal in the Hearts goal. Jamie Gullan in particular had a few good chances saved by the Czech stopper, and Oli Shaw hit the Hibees’ best effort straight at the keeper.
Into the second-half, and Hearts still led. The pitch wasn’t helping playing conditions as both sides failed to find any real rhythm.
Again, Hibs had the better of it. Adam Jackson met a Fraser Murray corner on the full, but he could only curl his volley wide.
Aidan Keena fired a low shot that Patrick Martin could hold, before Lee Makel’s side missed yet another guilt-edged chance. Gullan skipped by Cammy Logan on the left, cutting it to the back-post. Oli Shaw took his time, and drove straight wide.
Gullan was provider again, this time setting up Fraser Murray, but he too couldn’t find his shooting boots and blazed wide from close-range.
Andy Irving almost doubled Hearts’ lead ten minutes from time, skimming the roof of the net with a free-kick from 30 yards.
Instead, Hibs levelled with almost the last kick of the 90 minutes. Gullan crossed from the left and Zlamal’s punch went up in the air as he tumbled to the floor. Shaw was left with a simple header into an empty net, and it went to penalties.

The first seven penalties were all excellently taken - Lewis Moore, Andy Irving, Alex Petkov and Aidan Keena all scoring for Hearts, with Jamie Gullan, Ben Stirling and Fraser Murray all scoring for Hibs. Innes Murray was up next for Hibs, but crashed his effort off the post.

Rory Currie had the chance to win the tie - but Patrick Martin stepped up to save. Oli Shaw equalised, before Euan Henderson and Kosovar Sadiki both scored to make it 5-5.

Cammy Logan was next, coolly slotting to the right to give Hearts the advantage in sudden death. Hibs sub Tommy Block had to score - and he didn't, with his tame effort well saved by Bobby Zlamal, handing Hearts the bonus point win.
Hearts: Zlamal; Logan, Hamilton ©, Petkov, Baur; C. Smith (Currie, 87’), Ritchie (Sandison, 70’), Irving, Moore; Keena, Wighton (Henderson, 60’)
Subs: Silva; Henderson, Currie, Sandison, Ward, Schiavone, Nwanze.
Hibs: Martin; Naismith (Block, 75’), Sadiki, Jackson, Doig; Stirling, F. Murray ©, I. Murray, Campbell; Shaw, Gullan
Subs: Cantley; Woods, Hodge, Shanley, Years, Leddie
Ref: Frazer Bushell

(Some of our reserve players are still available to sponsor this season - please click here!)