First Team

Heart of Midlothian 0-0 Hibernian

Wednesday 31st October 2018, KO 19:45 | Ladbrokes Premiership | Tynecastle Park

Match Report

Hearts and Hibs played out a tense 0-0 draw in front of almost 20,000 fans at Tynecastle Park.

On a cold Hallowe’en night, Hearts hosted Hibs as the away side looked to give their league-leading opposition a scare.

Peter Haring took the armband, as well as the number 9 role, for Craig Levein's men and Sean Clare made his first start for the club.
Olly Lee was the first to test Adam Bogdan, firing a left footed drive powerfully at goal which Bogdan did well to push behind for a corner.
Lee was involved again as he swung in a corner which was found by a flying overhead kick from Clevid Dikamona but the centre-back could only put it over the bar.

Marvin Bartley was the first into Dallas’ book with a flying lunge on stand-in captain Haring and the Hibs captain was perhaps lucky to only see yellow.
Darren McGregor came close to the opening goal. A driven corner from Stevie Mallan found McGregor unmarked at the back post but he could only drive his header into the side netting.
Mallan then hit the woodwork twice for the Hibees. First, he smacked the crossbar with a curler from 30 yards. 
Then, the midfielder had a chance from a similar position just minutes later, this time from a free-kick. A Bozanic foul left the midfielder with a brilliant opportunity but his effort skimmed the crossbar.

He came close from another free-kick with half-an-hour gone. From well wide on the left he looked to catch Bobby Zlamal out and shot instead of crossing. Thankfully the Czech stopper got across to tip it behind.
Flo Kamberi and Arnaud Djoum had their names taken in a first-half that started to fizzle out, with chances at a premium. Michael Smith went close with a drive from 30 yards and although he was able to score from that distance, with is weaker foot, against Raith Rovers earlier in the season he could not repeat the feat.
Hearts started the second half the brighter of the two teams with Clare becoming more involved and the build-up becoming more fluid.
However, it was Hibs who had the first solid chance and yet again it came through Mallan. Martin Boyle beat Dikamona to a long ball forward and sent a cross low to the back post but Mallan’s shot was parried behind by Zlamal.
Boyle and Smith then got involved in a shoving contest as tempers flared and both were cautioned by Andrew Dallas.
It all boiled over just moments later when a tough aerial challenge saw Ollie Bozanic flattened. Both teams gathered around the stricken Bozanic as Ben Garuccio and Flo Kamberi were separated by the masses. Eventually both were booked and Kamberi got his marching orders from Dallas with 25 minutes remaining.

Bozanic could not continue and was replaced by Craig Wighton, who had a fantastic chance to nab his first Edinburgh derby goal. Great play by Callumn Morrison saw a cross whipped in low to the six yard box but the substitute could not get on the end of it.

Levein’s final role of the dice saw Clare replaced on his derby debut by Danny Amankwaa. It was almost a stroke of genius as Amankwaa won a corner which was flapped at by Adam Bogdan. The ball fell to Dikamona who shimmied onto his left foot and saw his shot strike the woodwork.
With only minutes to go Hearts had the ball in the back of the net but it was ruled out by the linesman. A long Mitchell cross was again flapped at by Bogdan before Dikamona headed it into the net but the linesman ruled it out, with Peter Haring in an offside position.

Hearts: Zlamal, Smith, Dunne, Haring, Bozanic (Wighton, 67'), Lee, Clare (Amankwaa, 86'), Djoum, Garuccio (Mitchell, 80'), Dikamona, Morrison. Subs: Doyle, Hughes, Cochrane, Godinho.

Hibs: Bogdan, Whittaker, Milligan, Bartley, Slivka, Boyle (Shaw, 80'), Mallan (Hyndman, 90'), Stevenson, Kamberi, McGregor, Ambrose. Subs: Marciano, Horgan, Maclaren, Mavrias, Porteous.

Referee: Andrew Dallas

Attendance: 19,410