Finance Department Vacancy
Financial Accountant Team Leader (covering maternity leave –
Director of Finance
Competitive salary depending on experience
Full-time (5/7 days)
1 November 2017
Heart of Midlothian is a successful Scottish Premiership Football Club, both on and off the pitch.
The company, Heart of Midlothian plc, is going through an exciting period of transition with its stadium redevelopment, incorporating the building of a new main stand.
The current business comprises football related activities, a retail operation, match-day hospitality and non-match-day conference & banqueting services, a ticketing operation and a heritage facility, incorporating the Club’s museum. The new facilities are expected to bring significant growth to these activities.
The business is supported via an experienced Finance function.
The club is currently looking to recruit a Financial Accountant Team Leader to cover maternity leave, for a period of 14 months, on a fixed term contract. The ideal candidate will be expected to operate at a management level and will be responsible for overseeing the day to day operation and management of the Finance Department.
This is an exceptional opportunity to join a dynamic Finance team under the direction of the Director of Finance, providing financial support within the heart of the business at Tynecastle Park.
The ideal candidate will be responsible for the day to day operation and management of the Finance Department and the maintenance of the internal control environment within the club.
Preparation of accounts
- Responsibility for the preparation of timely and accurate monthly management accounts and reports for operational management
- Responsibility for the preparation of weekly flash reports for the management team
- Responsibility for all journals and final GL balances including review of month end balance sheet reconciliations and control accounts
- Ensure the accuracy and integrity of the company’s accounting records and financial systems
- Assist in the production of statutory accounts for the company in accordance with the relevant accounting principles and current legislation
- Play a full part in providing relevant & timely financial information to the Board and Departmental Heads to enable a balanced and objective assessment of the company’s position.
Budgets and forecasts
- Assist in the preparation of budgets, forecasts and business plans and continued monitoring & review of performance against them to enable robust reporting of variances to the Board and to Departmental Heads
Financial management & controls
- Effectively manage the day to day working capital components of the company with specific attention to debtors, creditors and cash balances
- Active management of departmental overheads whilst seeking out areas for efficiencies for savings
- Overseeing monthly processing of payroll and payments to employees
- Review and update, in line with good practice, the company’s internal control environment and continue to extend the Controls and Procedures manual
- Play an active role in assisting management in the corporate risk assessment process and embedding a risk management culture throughout the organisation
- Support the Director of Finance in the development and execution of the company’s taxation strategy
- Ensure returns for Corporation tax, VAT and other relevant taxes are submitted, payments made on time and all relevant regulations are complied with
- Effectively supervise, motivate and develop the Finance department personnel on a day to day basis
- Assist in the implementation of a change management culture by challenging & replacing established processes and procedures where necessary
- Liaise with different departments to ensure the Finance department is properly supporting the needs of the operating departments
- Support the Director of Finance in managing relationships with auditors, tax advisers, bankers and other parties as appropriate
- Carry out any further tasks for which your qualifications & experience are suited as directed by the Director of Finance
Qualification and experience
- Minimum of 3 years financial accounting experience
- Minimum of 1-year post qualification
- Chartered Accountant or similar professional qualification
- Proven track record in managing a small finance team
How to apply: If you think that you are suitable for the position and meet the criteria above, please send a CV and Covering letter to email@example.com
Closing Date: Close of play – 15 September 2017