Tynecastle Stadium: 1892-1914
1892: The first Full International fixture to be allocated to the ground was against Wales on 16 March. Scotland won 6-1 but only 1,200 fans watched the contest because a snow storm had crossed the city and thousands assumed that the game would be postponed.
1892: During the summer, the club provided the first covered accommodation for the public when the South Stand was roofed. It was known as the "Covered Stand" until 1901 and supporters could now enter the park from McLeod Street.
1894: When Hearts won the Championship in 1894-95, the club had 1,000 members. The "Evening News" installed the first telephone on the ground and the public was also delighted to see that refreshment stalls had been erected.
1895: The first ever League match against Hibernian took place on 28 September. The record crowd of 17,500 created an electric atmosphere especially in the dying minutes when Davie Baird scored with a superb shot to give Hearts a 4-3 victory.
1896: Hearts won the Scottish Cup for a second time and resources were available to construct a running track that was banked in order to provide a cycle raceway. The cinder banking on which most of the spectators stood was also built up.
1897: Hearts won the League again in 1896-97 and the stadium banking was repeatedly expanded. The first wooden crush barriers were planted in the cinder slopes and the ground was brightened up by huge advertising hoardings and a wooden perimeter fence.
1901: Hearts financial problems were resolved after the Scottish Cup Semi Final against Hibs at Tynecastle on 3 March. A record crowd of 22,500 watched the game and although a replay was needed, Hearts went on to win the Cup for the third time.
1901: The uncovered North Stand was in a dangerous condition and was replaced during the summer with a modern and spacious covered structure with a standing enclosure in front. The North Stand was erected by Messrs W C Brown for just over £647.
1901: Ellison & Company's rush resistant turnstiles were bought for the two entrances in Gorgie Road and McLeod Street and wooden beams were laid in the Gorgie Road banking to provide the first terracing at Tynecastle.
1903: The largest crowd to watch a Scottish football match outside of Glasgow filled Tynecastle on 7 March when Hearts defeated Dundee 1-0 in a Scottish Cup Semi Final Replay. Bill Porteous scored the only goal in front of a remarkable attendance of 30,000.
1903: The club was criticised after the Dundee game as there was inadequate stewarding and this led to crushing at the South-West corner. In addition, seats that were placed on the track in front of the stands were said to be ill-arranged and hazardous.
1903: Hearts immediately built a new stand, pavilion and press box. In fact the North Stand was joined to the South Stand with the buildings unified to make a continuous structure. A new pavilion was also built with balcony seats over a standing area.
1906: Hearts won the Scottish Cup for a fourth time and the club was awarded the Scotland versus Wales match on 3 March. A record crowd for the fixture of 25,000 paid for admission, but after a break in the actual crowd was nearer 30,000.
1906: The ground was substantially enlarged through lowering the banking three feet below the playing pitch. This involved removing the cycle track except a section on the Main Stand side that was retained for training purposes.
1906: After a new brick wall was constructed around three sides of the park and the banking was covered with fresh cinders, the ground's capacity was 61,784 (4,000 of this figure in the Stand and Pavilion).
1907: On 30 March another record crowd watched Hearts play Queens Park in a Scottish Cup Semi-Final tie. The 35,000 fans produced incredibly wild cheering at the conclusion of the game as the maroons again reached the Cup Final.
1908: The Exchange Telegraph Company erected the first half time scoreboard and started to issue the club's first regular match programme.
1909: The club sold the hay field behind the North Embankment to the School Board and Tynecastle School was subsequently built on the site.
1911: Hearts opened a 120-yard covered enclosure on the distillery side. Made of corrugated iron in two semi-circular spans and supported by steel standards, it became known as the "Iron Stand". This enclosure held 4,500 spectators and cost £453.
1912: Scotland beat Wales 1-0 at Tynecastle on 2 March and this victory was watched by 31,000 a record crowd for the fixture.
1912: During the summer the club obtained a 19-year lease from Edinburgh Corporation. With the tenancy secure the Tynecastle Terrace and McLeod Street entrances were given modern pay-boxes and the banking was built up and strengthened with fresh ashes.
1913: Due to public demand, the club decided to build a new, much more commodious Main Stand, costing £5-6,000. Britain's most noted stadium architect, Archibald Leitch, was commissioned to design the stand that was to incorporate all modern conveniences.
1914: Mr. Leitch submitted plans and it was now estimated that the cost of Hearts brick and steel building would be around £8,000. The principal contractors were Edinburgh companies, Redpath Brown Limited and J Duncan & Sons.
1914: The club had £4,000 of the required funding for the stand and so it was necessary to transfer Percy Dawson to Blackburn Rovers for a then British record fee of £2,500.
1914: The new Main Stand was partially opened on 15 August when Hearts beat Celtic 2-0 in the League before 18,000 spectators. The club instructed a tablet to be placed on the outside wall giving details of the Directors involved in the construction project.